auto cast deflect missile when resting


Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 138

Joined: Friday, 13th March 2015, 13:33

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 23:20

auto cast deflect missile when resting

I cant be the only one who learns deflect missile and then have it turned off like 80% of the time because you dont realize its been knocked out.. right?

For this message the author gameguard has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Hellmonk, mrob, nago, Patashu, VeryAngryFelid
User avatar

Pandemonium Purger

Posts: 1298

Joined: Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 02:42

Location: Sydney, Australia

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 23:34

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

I think there's a LUA script to do this but I'd love it as an rc setting. Something like cast_at_max_mp=spell1,spell2,spell3 and whenever you hit full MP it tries to cast each spell until one of them succeeds.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Posts: 2218

Joined: Sunday, 18th December 2011, 13:31

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 09:50

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

Yes I think there other spells you could want to (keep) cast when resting, such as regen, or even sublimation of blood, and so on.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok
User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 111

Joined: Saturday, 10th March 2018, 18:00

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 17:07

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

Patashu wrote:I think there's a LUA script to do this but I'd love it as an rc setting. Something like cast_at_max_mp=spell1,spell2,spell3 and whenever you hit full MP it tries to cast each spell until one of them succeeds.


That sounds like an EXCELLENT way to immediately miscast yourself to death after learning a spell. I don't think setting that in the RC is a good idea. If you do, you'd probably have to set some sort of spell failure breakpoint (i.e. it won't try to do this until failure is <10%) or else this would have to be implemented as a system in-game. Trying to autocast dMis when you just learned it as your first Air spell seems like a recipe for Airstriking yourself or glowing to the point of malmutation.

Crypt Cleanser

Posts: 663

Joined: Saturday, 12th December 2015, 23:54

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 18:03

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 7
duvessa, genericpseudonym, Implojin, nago, Rast, Shtopit, VeryAngryFelid

Mines Malingerer

Posts: 47

Joined: Friday, 3rd February 2012, 07:23

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 19:41

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

Hellmonk wrote:If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.


This could work, but it would require some code to cancel the dmsl buff when you forget the spell, since otherwise you would never have to keep those 6 spell levels after casting it once. (other than say Quicksilver Dragons if you kept that interaction)
User avatar

Tartarus Sorceror

Posts: 1693

Joined: Saturday, 18th June 2016, 13:57

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 20:10

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

Hellmonk wrote:If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.

Really cool idea. I think that it could be applied to other spells, like Ozzy, Shroud of Golubria, and a few more. Is it in Hellcrawl?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1189

Joined: Friday, 16th January 2015, 20:20

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 23:52

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

tself55 wrote:
Hellmonk wrote:If deflect missiles is going to exist at all, it should be permanent. Breaking the effect so you have to recast it does nothing but add tedium. If you want dmsl to scale with spellpower, just scale the actual effect with spellpower. If you want to keep the current "sometimes you lose dmsl for the rest of one combat" behavior, just give a short duration -dmsl status under the circumstances where it'd break now, or failure rate / 100 times, or whatever.


This could work, but it would require some code to cancel the dmsl buff when you forget the spell, since otherwise you would never have to keep those 6 spell levels after casting it once. (other than say Quicksilver Dragons if you kept that interaction)


I'm pretty sure canceling DMsl when you forget the spell is already implemented.

Slime Squisher

Posts: 344

Joined: Tuesday, 14th April 2015, 19:56

Location: France

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2018, 07:49

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

PseudoLoneWolf wrote:
Patashu wrote:I think there's a LUA script to do this but I'd love it as an rc setting. Something like cast_at_max_mp=spell1,spell2,spell3 and whenever you hit full MP it tries to cast each spell until one of them succeeds.


That sounds like an EXCELLENT way to immediately miscast yourself to death after learning a spell. I don't think setting that in the RC is a good idea. If you do, you'd probably have to set some sort of spell failure breakpoint (i.e. it won't try to do this until failure is <10%) or else this would have to be implemented as a system in-game. Trying to autocast dMis when you just learned it as your first Air spell seems like a recipe for Airstriking yourself or glowing to the point of malmutation.


Or you could just check for the Contam status in the script
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4426

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Wednesday, 4th April 2018, 08:21

Re: auto cast deflect missile when resting

There is already an option "fail_severity_to_confirm".
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.