Window bug

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 30th March 2018, 23:17

Window bug

There's been an issue in the online (tiles) version for as long as I recall which happens when you have a window opening (such as inventory) as a spectator enters. It creates a situation where you need to reload because the window won't close. The exact reason for the bug might be difficult to track or fix since it's been around so long, I'm not sure, but I think an easy fix would be something like pressing escape key always closes all windows.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th April 2018, 00:57

Re: Window bug

I've been trying to replicate this, and have so far not succeeded, so more information might help (though it might just be that the timing has to be exact and I haven't gotten it). Some followup questions: does this happen only on opening, or on closing too? What server do you play on? Is it rare or frequent? Is it any menu? What browser? Any other generalizations you can think of?

It's not so simple as saying that esc closes any menu, since it already more or less does that. The fixed version of this bug for text input happened because the text input variable wasn't getting properly updated when the DOM was rebuilt under certain circumstances, and something no longer present in the DOM is what was getting closed; so it's probably something like that again.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 09:31

advil wrote:I've been trying to replicate this, and have so far not succeeded, so more information might help (though it might just be that the timing has to be exact and I haven't gotten it). Some followup questions: does this happen only on opening, or on closing too? What server do you play on? Is it rare or frequent? Is it any menu? What browser? Any other generalizations you can think of?

It's not so simple as saying that esc closes any menu, since it already more or less does that. The fixed version of this bug for text input happened because the text input variable wasn't getting properly updated when the DOM was rebuilt under certain circumstances, and something no longer present in the DOM is what was getting closed; so it's probably something like that again.

I believe the timing matters. It seems to be when you open a window at about the same time a spectator joins. What I mean by a window is inventory (for sure), and possibly some others like list of spells memorized although I can't say I recall which type of other windows for sure right now. I do not think there is any problem with a window getting stuck open because you try to close it at the wrong time, but I suppose it's possible - there's just no way to know by observation alone. I am 100% certain it pertains to the timing of a spectator joining. If I had to guess, I'd say it relates to the opening process. There have been times when I've opened a window, seen a spectator joined and thought to myself oh-crap, this window will be stuck open until I reload, even before attempting it.

I typically play on CAO, but I do not think it is limited to a single server because I have played other servers and I'm fairly sure the problem has spanned more than one. I've spoken to other people who have also experienced the problem. I'm pretty sure it's happened at least using Chrome and Internet Explorer (or whatever b.s. name it has today, Edge)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2018, 22:20

I can at least confirm I've had this happen to me, but yeah it requires fairly specific timing, and I'm not sure how to reproduce it at will.

Return to Game Design Discussion