replace Polymorph with Malmutate

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 16:15

replace Polymorph with Malmutate

I don't like wands of polymorph. Not only are they basically useless considering that you could paralyze something instead with the same MR check, but they also require a huge amount of memorization of what to polymorph and when to use effectively for a small benefit, which seems contrary to the DCSS design philosophy.

So, I propose replacing the Wand of Polymorph with the Wand of Irradiation, which would be do no damage but (irresistibly) malmutate its target the same way Irradiate does. (That effect gives -8 AC, -25% HD.)

For this message the author bhauth has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 16:47

Re: replace Polymorph with Malmutate

Ugh.... and then you stumble into a kobold wielding one on D:3. No more malmutate please!

For this message the author svendre has received thanks:
Shard1697

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 17:24

svendre wrote:Ugh.... and then you stumble into a kobold wielding one on D:3.

Probably better than a kobold with a wand of acid.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 18:26

Wand of acid already debuffs enemies, so that conflicts a bit with malmutate. However, acid already has a niche as the bolt-damage wand now that lightning is gone, and I like the idea of a pure debuff wand (and maybe a way to play the mutation game again if people want that...?). Perhaps change acid back into lightning in conjunction with changing polymorph?

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 20:03

Terrapin wrote:Perhaps change acid back into lightning in conjunction with changing polymorph?

Basically, lightning was removed while acid was kept because lightning bolt is already a spell. There was also the issue of Ijyb double-zap instant kills on D3.

Wands of acid can miss, and even if they hit I don't think they're guaranteed to corrode.

For this message the author bhauth has received thanks:
Terrapin

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 26th March 2018, 08:45

The OP's assertions are rather weird. "You could paralyze something instead of polymorphing it" only works if you have the other wand. What if you had polymorph but no paralysis? I don't think it's a matter of "memorization" so much as the mechanics of polymorph being rather opaque.

I don't think polymorph only confers a small benefit. There are plenty of cases where polymorph is useful. It is, however, overall much less useful than other hexes, and hexes in general almost completely debilitate a monster (if they succeed). One way to distinguish polymorph would be to tweak its enchantment power. Of course, this assumes that polymorph belongs in the game. I don't have strong feelings one way or another, but I like it in general.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 26th March 2018, 12:51

Polymorph is good with ugly things, since it forces them to change their colour, which can be useful if you lack certain resistances. However, this effect doesn't necessarily need a dedicated wand. All hexes could have this effect on ugly things.

Outside of this, I almost never use polymorph. It's OK if you lack paralysis wands.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2018, 13:16

Currently polymorph is inferior to paralysis, enslavement and often to disintegration. IMHO "tweaking" its spell power is not a good idea without changing some mechanic because Evocations is already very powerful (for instance, currently polymorphing orb spider has 28% success chance with Evocations 0). Also empowered polymorph can be too similar to Tukima's dance which has a power boost too and also is used to decrease monster attack.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2018, 14:32

Polymorphing Sonja, Nessos and Maurice is such fun that polymorph should stay.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, Stairdancer

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 26th March 2018, 22:32

Polymorph could be buffed (in a way that makes it so you need less spoilery knowledge to use it well) if it tried to pick a lower HD form than it currently does.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
pedritolo

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 02:22

Malmutate is such a massive detriment to play against that I am incredibly against this idea. I like how it is now where 4 monsters have malmutate: it can be a threat in the late game for people who durdle too long, but it isn't an omnipresent threat.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 04:45

Monsters don't need to be able to zap this wand of malmutate. They can just treat it like iceblast and random effects and clouds and scattershot.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 09:09

things to use polynorph on: Nesos, sigmund, anyone with disto or annoying brand, orc priest, early orc warrior, unseen horror, boggart, elec wasp/eel, convokers about to recall, moth of wrath, etc.

Para wand is too good to spam on every minor threat, and there are times when polymorph is preferable since you dont have to kill the thing before it wakes up and can deal with other monsters wothout worrying about some dude ruining your day. I do tend to drop polymorph later on when inventory gets too full though.

btw scroll of vulnerability is OP and you should keep them until late game to paralyze some guys like the donald.

For this message the author gameguard has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, pedritolo

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 12:30

Why not both? Rename polymorph to "wand of degeneration" and make it polymorph + malmutate like the Nemelex card.

If the malmutate duration is relatively brief, it can even impose choices on the player following bad polymorphs. Do you stand your ground and kill this storm dragon while it has lower stats, or do you want to retreat and potentially have it chase you around with full power later? Can you kill it before its malmutate timer runs out and it gets a substantial power boost?

For this message the author Croases has received thanks:
Patashu

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 3rd April 2018, 17:13

Croases wrote:Why not both? Rename polymorph to "wand of degeneration" and make it polymorph + malmutate like the Nemelex card.

If the malmutate duration is relatively brief, it can even impose choices on the player following bad polymorphs. Do you stand your ground and kill this storm dragon while it has lower stats, or do you want to retreat and potentially have it chase you around with full power later? Can you kill it before its malmutate timer runs out and it gets a substantial power boost?

I like this. This way I can self polymorph while playing mutation roulette at the same time.

Return to Game Design Discussion