Transmutation enhancers

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 16th March 2018, 19:35

Transmutation enhancers

I play Transmuters a lot and there are two issues that bug me. First is the lack of bonuses usually given by branded and enchanted weapons. For the most part, Transmutations do plenty of damage, but especially early-ish in the game I find myself missing a lot and wish there was a way to increase my to-hit ability while transmuted. Second is a spell enhancer for Transmutation. It probably isn't as necessary as it is for other schools since increased spell power rarely provides benefits other than spell duration, but it would still be nice.

Gloves of the Bloody Claw

Diaphonous wrappers for hand-like appendages. They seem to shift and move on their own.

Base armour rating: 2
Encumbrance rating: 0

It can be maximally enchanted to +4.

Fits in gloves slot.

Enchanting these gloves does not increase their armour rating, instead it gives a to-hit bonus for unarmed combat (but not damage). Because these gloves can change shape on their own, both the armour bonus and the to hit bonus continue to work even when melded by transmutation or polymorph. Optional: Allow them to be enchanted by either scrolls of enchant armour or scrolls of enchant weapon.

Veil of the Dead Shifter God

A lightweight, flowing veil that seems to be made of the smoothest silk. Rumor has it that this is the skin of a long dead shapeshifter who is now revered as a god.

Base armour rating: 0
Encumbrance rating: 0

It can not be enchanted in any way.

Fits in either helmet, amulet, or cloak/scarf slots.

It provides a spell enhancer bonus to Transmutation spells. The bonus remains effective no matter what shape the wearer is in, even when the veil is melded.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2018, 16:44

Re: Transmutation enhancers

If these are unrands, they would be unavailable in the vast majority of early games. So adding these doesn't seem to achieve your goal.

In general, for transmuters in the early game, spider form is usually the best: it provides an enormous boost to both offence and defence. Later on, blade hands and/or ice form depending on how you build the character.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2018, 16:53

Items of slaying do increase your to-hit while transmuted, don't they?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2018, 16:58

bel wrote:If these are unrands, they would be unavailable in the vast majority of early games. So adding these doesn't seem to achieve your goal.

In general, for transmuters in the early game, spider form is usually the best: it provides an enormous boost to both offence and defence. Later on, blade hands and/or ice form depending on how you build the character.

Yeah, I've been looking at the code and don't see any way to do the gloves. The Veil should be fairly easy to code (except maybe for the multiple slots), although I guess you're right it would be unlikely to be useful.

I do use spider form a lot, but my attacks miss so often that it just becomes frustrating, hence the desire for a to hit bonus that doesn't also make the damage unreasonable.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2018, 16:59

Shtopit wrote:Items of slaying do increase your to-hit while transmuted, don't they?

They do, but slaying brands are rarely available early in the game, and Transmuters already do plenty of damage, I think, which is why I was thinking of something that just gave a bonus to chance to hit.

Return to Game Design Discussion