Buff the amulet of vitality

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd March 2018, 00:10

Buff the amulet of vitality

Having seen a lot of arguments for guardian spirit vs regeneration amulets lately, there are even some posts were vitality is considered inferior to guardian spirit. While I'm not suggesting any changes to the regular amulets, I think there's at least room for the unrand amulet of vitality to be buffed until it's clearly a powerful item. In other words the rationale for the change is unrands should be powerful and this is one that is arguably worse than a non-artifact amulet.

Currently it's +15 hp, regen. So increasing either of those, or even both, seems simple enough without tacking on random +slaying or +AC etc.

Option 1: +15 hp, regen++.
Option 2: +30 hp, regen.

Super buff option: +30 hp, regen++.

Super buff might be going too far, but hey, I wouldn't mind.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 3rd March 2018, 01:57

Re: Buff the amulet of vitality

How about adding to Vitality the trick of the Sword of Power?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd March 2018, 02:17

Vitality being worse than Spirit is kind of goofy, but I think the bigger problem is that Vitality is doing the same thing as Spirit in the first place: effectively increasing your max HP and regeneration rate. Just buffing it won't solve that.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd March 2018, 06:06

Maybe the unrandart can protect character from instadeath. For instance, you cannot lose more than 50% max hp (+max mp if spirit shield) while wearing vitality.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 3rd March 2018, 08:20

duvessa wrote:Vitality being worse than Spirit is kind of goofy, but I think the bigger problem is that Vitality is doing the same thing as Spirit in the first place: effectively increasing your max HP and regeneration rate.

But it does so while leaving your MP alone, which is a big plus. I would always prefer it to Spirit, even without any buff.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Game Design Discussion