Trunk Chei and Rage (and Quick Blades)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 19:45

Trunk Chei and Rage (and Quick Blades)

So, as of v.21 any weapon with the {*Rage} or {+Rage} ego was typically hated by Chei.

Currently wielding one right now, and I've raged several times (via Berserkitis). Chei is keeping me from being hasted I think, but is allowing the rage overall. Quite pleased with this. I'll be checking to see if it applies to potions of berserking as well.

(Side, note, found Gyre and Gimble on D:8...am a gnoll...but can't use cause of Chei :{ )

This brings up the other point. Quick blades aren't actually speed branded or hasted. They just have a really low delay. In light of this, it doesn't make sense to have Chei hate them. I mean, a quickblade at 0 skill with a delay of 7 is no faster than many other weapons at higher skills, so it doesn't make sense for Chei to hate them. IMO.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 20:20

Re: Trunk Chei and Rage (and Quick Blades)

I agree about quickblades, I think that it's an unicum in how gods work. If it were like demon weapons and it were a line of quick weapons, then I might sort of get it, but, right now, it just looks odd.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 20:24

Chei hates 'em because someone *intentionally* designed them to be faster, that they didn't use a magic enchantment to create that effect has no bearing on that nasty horrible speedyness
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th February 2018, 23:28

Siegurt wrote:Chei hates 'em because someone *intentionally* designed them to be faster, that they didn't use a magic enchantment to create that effect has no bearing on that nasty horrible speedyness

I always thought they were all enchanted to be speed weapons, but that the game just explains that through 'lore' and doesn't give them the actual speed brand because then they couldn't get another brand. If all quick blades were marked "speed" and couldn't get venom/distortion/electrocution, they'd be far weaker, and probably not even worth using unless you're stabbing or a vine stalker.

As for OP, Chei has always allowed unintentional berserk (*rage egos, berserkitis) to occur. You still get the might effect and the +50% hp, but chei blocks the haste component. Potions of berserk are intentionally quaffed, and will net you penance.

Return to Game Design Discussion