buff Kiku

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 22nd February 2018, 18:20

buff Kiku

Once upon a time, Zombies lasted forever. Now that they don't, using Corpse Delivery + Animate Dead is often worse than just using Summoning spells, despite being a key god ability that uses piety.

Kiku used to give Control Undead, but that spell was removed and Kiku didn't get a replacement gift.

Because of those changes, I think Kiku now needs a buff. My suggestions are:
1) Always give Bolt of Draining in the 1st book gift.
2) Always give Vile Clutch in the 2nd book gift.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 22nd February 2018, 20:11

Re: buff Kiku

Nothing that you wrote is specifically untrue, but you don't lay out why Kiku should be buffed. In my opinion kiku doesn't need a buff specifically.

For this message the author Plantissue has received thanks: 4
bel, duvessa, nago, sdynet

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 22nd February 2018, 20:32

Allies are OP in general and undead were especially so, hence the nerf to their duration. You can boost those undead by pumping necromancy, which is FAR SUPERIOR to putting xp into summoning, so ...not really seeing the problem?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 22nd February 2018, 22:43

Kiku will continue to be amazing until Kiku stops being a source of allies on demand. It doesn't particularly matter what the duration of the allies is, as long as they last for the current fight.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 22nd February 2018, 23:14

Corpse Delivery + Animate Dead is still one of the top few panic buttons, behind Sanctuary, Step from Tome, and probably Banish Self. The latter 3 all cost a ton of piety and require decent Invocations investment. The former takes 2–3 turns to use to disengage and takes some Necromancy investment.

Corpse Delivery + Animate Dead or Simulacrum are great before a big fight, too. Plus undead durations are a lot longer than most summons, so you can use your army for a few fights.

My only complaint is that Animate Dead is not guaranteed in Kiku's spellbooks.
Last edited by Airwolf on Friday, 23rd February 2018, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd February 2018, 02:09

Airwolf wrote:Step from Tome

I endorse this as a new Sif power

Also kiku is already buff as hell
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd February 2018, 07:07

njvack wrote:
Airwolf wrote:Step from Tome

I endorse this as a new Sif power

Also kiku is already buff as hell

Whoops.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th February 2018, 19:40

My only comment here would be that I think Kiku's spellbooks should be designed to have minimal overlap with the Necromancer starting book. That's one thing that's always irritated me -- if start as a necromancer to take advantage of Kiku, the most sensible combination, I end up partially wasting a god gift...on a god that only gives 3 gifts.

For this message the author Alphaeus has received thanks:
PlatinumSpider

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 11:38

Alphaeus wrote:My only comment here would be that I think Kiku's spellbooks should be designed to have minimal overlap with the Necromancer starting book.

It just should look at the spells in your library. Because some can take Kiku while playing wizard or fighter and shouldn't waste a possibility of getting animate dead/regen/vamp draining.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
rigrig

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 19:56

Alphaeus wrote:My only comment here would be that I think Kiku's spellbooks should be designed to have minimal overlap with the Necromancer starting book. That's one thing that's always irritated me -- if start as a necromancer to take advantage of Kiku, the most sensible combination, I end up partially wasting a god gift...on a god that only gives 3 gifts.

I would actually say that taking Kiku as a necromancer is actually the *least* sensible combination, adding necromancy to virtually any other starting kit is a much larger boost than adding it to a kit that already has it, (Excluding all the Zealot starts of course)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion