Why can large species wield small weapons?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 20:15

Why can large species wield small weapons?

I was crawling through the dungeon with an Ogre the other day, and found a buckler I couldn't use. That made sense, I thought, but then I looked at my other hand holding a normal one-handed club and began to feel like Harry Potter running around clubbing people with my wand. So, how about the following:

1) make all one-handed weapons unwieldable for large creatures
2) make all two-handed melee weapons one-handed for large creatures (two-headed ogres can run up on you with two giant clubs, so why not?)

This will make the early dungeon quite a bit harder for Ogres (and trolls who, for whatever reason, don't like to get their claws dirty or train UC), and it's already hard for them (I lose fistfights with lone kobolds on the regular) so I'd suggest a slight buff to ogre's unarmed attacks. Failing that, maybe some early-dungeon two-handed weapons that just kinda suck, but not as much as ogre fists? (a tree limb?)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 23:47

Re: Why can large species wield small weapons?

If we must have consistency on this point, I think it'd be better to just allow large species to use bucklers and not add several new weapon types and a bunch more weapon use exceptions.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 19:26

I mean, if you really want a "how does size even work in crawl" think about how spriggans and ogres can both wear a robe with minimal encumberance

What I'm saying is, this is one area where real-life consistency is probably not something we're gonna get.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 04:54

Ogres can hold adagger with thumb and index finger like a needle and poke enemies with it, it makes sense :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 18:58

Seems like this just makes Formacid less cool (well, and ogres worse,) for little reason. Small race weapon restrictions are already weird in an unintuitive way, I don't like adding more of that.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 21:05

I've never really understood why trolls and ogres can't use bucklers. In reality,the size of a buckler relative to the body doesn't have as large an effect as it does of shields; bucklers only need to just cover the fist to still be somewhat effective as bucklers. Shields are just strange in crawl anyways.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 21:22

njvack wrote:I mean, if you really want a "how does size even work in crawl" think about how spriggans and ogres can both wear a robe with minimal encumberance

What I'm saying is, this is one area where real-life consistency is probably not something we're gonna get.

Right, just like the inexplicable reason that Formicids can't wear two pairs of gloves.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 23:25

Plantissue wrote:I've never really understood why trolls and ogres can't use bucklers. In reality,the size of a buckler relative to the body doesn't have as large an effect as it does of shields; bucklers only need to just cover the fist to still be somewhat effective as bucklers. Shields are just strange in crawl anyways.

I'd always interpreted it as their hands being too big to fit (imagine trying to use a buckler that's smaller than your palm, your hand isn't going to fit in there) of course any justification is really meaningless.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion