Proposal:The Legion from Beyond, god of liberation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 12th February 2018, 14:54

Proposal:The Legion from Beyond, god of liberation

The Legion from Beyond, god of liberation

The legion is a superior machine army in the faraway world, an army that believes in machine perfection and is organized to save the mortals trapped in weak flesh from death.
The ideal value of the legion is believed to be swift and accurate, and they prefer a blitzkrieg to carry out the war.
The legion does not require worshipers to worship illogically. They will quickly track the mortals, protect the troopers, and send troops to reformation the organism.

Piety
Legion uses the term energy instead of Piety. This number is 0 to 100.
Piety does not increase or decrease through the killing of enemies or exploration.

As the player moving to next map, the friendly trooper is randomly placed in the area, and the number of trooper is proportional to the number of enemys.
When a player finds a trooper, he can gain 10 energy. When the trooper is destroyed, it loses 4 of its energy.
When a player moving to next map, if there is no awake trooper there, he loses half of his energy.

Trooper
Troopers are permanently paralyzed when they are first created.
When a player finds a trooper, the trooper's permanent paralysis debuff disappears.
They are not affected by the recall spell, and can not be moved to another map.
Depending on the player's XL, damage and HP increase, but have very little HP (5 + XL / 2)

Power
Active power damage proportional to XL
(Passive) Force Field
When consuming energy or recalling troopers, create a force field for the player and all troopers.
Buff to ignore any damage. and lasts for 1 turn.
(Active) Raid / cost 5 energy. Short Exh. When energy is low, consumes 10% of HP (warning window).
Teleport to random enemies.
Recall one of the permanent paralysis trooper, and recall the awakened troopers.
When energy is over 50, when troopers are recalled, deal 3x3 damage.
(Active) Laser / cost 15 energy
The player fires a penetrating beam of range 3.
When energy is over 50, troopers fire the laser together. (like a battle sphere).
(Active) Liberation / cost 30 energy
Creates a dimension gate that sucks a 3x3 range at the selected location. Objects adjacent to the dimension gate are constantly subject to damage and change to trooper upon death.
When energy is over 50, range increases to 5x5

Legion mechanism
The key to the mechanism is to break through the risk front.
Players can unite scattered army and quickly attack enemies.
You have to find troopers to unite troops, and the simplest way to find them is to [Raid].
The more boldly the player uses the raid, they ignore the damage through the force field.
You may be able to move around and find troopers, but it will be difficult to Increase the energy in that way.
Last edited by sdynet on Tuesday, 13th February 2018, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 12th February 2018, 18:55

Re: Proposal:The Legion from Beyond, god of liberation

I'll need some time to think about the mechanics, but...

The post-apocalyptic robot army aesthetic is really out of character for Crawl's setting. Why not a god of artificing or golemancy or something more thematically appropriate?

Barkeep

Post Monday, 12th February 2018, 20:01

I don't actually understand the proposed mechanics super well, but this sounds like another ally god? Allies are problematic in Crawl — they're very strong, but since monsters in crawl are supposed to die all the time, keeping your allies healthy is very hard. In particular, this proposal sounds like you'd spend a whole lot of time trying to keep troopers alive and out of trouble. You have an explicit penalty for them dying, the considerable benefit of a large army if you keep them alive, and then a whole bunch of mechanics that explicitly work better the more troops you have at your disposal.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 3
Majang, nago, sdynet

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 13th February 2018, 09:58

Stonar wrote:I'll need some time to think about the mechanics, but...

The post-apocalyptic robot army aesthetic is really out of character for Crawl's setting. Why not a god of artificing or golemancy or something more thematically appropriate?

Well, I thought that the concept most appropriate for the act of liberating the mortal was the 'machine legion'.
but, It was a concept that was too far away to be included in the theme of DCSS...
I need to fix it.

Thank you for your feedback. :)

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 13th February 2018, 11:25

njvack wrote:I don't actually understand the proposed mechanics super well, but this sounds like another ally god? Allies are problematic in Crawl — they're very strong, but since monsters in crawl are supposed to die all the time, keeping your allies healthy is very hard. In particular, this proposal sounds like you'd spend a whole lot of time trying to keep troopers alive and out of trouble. You have an explicit penalty for them dying, the considerable benefit of a large army if you keep them alive, and then a whole bunch of mechanics that explicitly work better the more troops you have at your disposal.

'Buff to ignore any damage. and lasts for 1 turn.'
This sentence originally has additional sentences.
'If you have more than five troopers, buffs lasts for 3 turn.'
but...This has great merit in keeping the trooper alive, but I am concerned that the player will feel more fatigued. And it is overly safe.

I have also considered granting resistance, but there are many gods associated with it, and I felt that 'force field' was enough for protection.
I thought of an aggressive power. new passive.
When you use 'raid', you get a buff. The buff count increases according to the number of Awake trooper. This buff will cause a static discharge on the next physical attack.
hmm... is it too ordinary?

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 14th February 2018, 07:42

This reads as a strictly weaker, super annoying to use, and less kickass version of Yred. We already have that yo.

That said crawl has an infected ingrown toe, the icp, and the actual sun as top end zot enemies. By comparison killer robots are pretty tame. (Or I may just play too much Etrian Oddyssey).

I would enjoy a machine god over the current version of wjc (or oka, perferably oka tbh, kung-foo is actually fun) though. Not-fedhas had some cool armor slot saccing mechanics and there have been a lot of machine race ideas thrown out. Some ungodly hodgepodge of those could just make a viable "Terminate-taur". God of body modification has some design space (conflicts with jiv, but jiv's modification is super-not-remotely-fun), bad at ranged combat on this race? Rocket puch bitches, bad at mele? You're fuckin metal now and have buzz saw legs, slow as balls? Cut that tail off and get some sick wheels. Dumb as dicks? Computer in your skull.

Edit: It would step on All-The-Toes toes but an overclock style pseudo-self-chaininnerflame+haste would be hilarious.

(Outing myself as a "turn all gods into-ru-chie-trog-gozag sacrifice for power advocate here)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 02:15

sdynet wrote:(Active) Liberation / cost 30 energy
Creates a dimension gate that sucks a 3x3 range at the selected location. Objects adjacent to the dimension gate are constantly subject to damage and change to trooper upon death.

Have you heard of the spell singularity? It was in the .16 release, but got removed before .17 for being too strong and exploitable (damaging monsters out of LOS). This is essentially singularity (3x3) but with a bonus 5x5 mode, which also grants you allies (and I think if I'm reading this right the allies would then grant you more energy/piety to do it again?).

As much as I liked singularity, this is too much.

Also, has no one pointed out that this was proposed by skynet? I mean, sdynet?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 04:25

tasonir wrote:
sdynet wrote:(Active) Liberation / cost 30 energy

Have you heard of the spell singularity? It was in the .16 release, but got removed before .17 for being too strong and exploitable (damaging monsters out of LOS). This is essentially singularity (3x3) but with a bonus 5x5 mode, which also grants you allies (and I think if I'm reading this right the allies would then grant you more energy/piety to do it again?).

As much as I liked singularity, this is too much.

Also, has no one pointed out that this was proposed by skynet? I mean, sdynet?

Yes, this is a mini singularity.
Singularity was a very interesting spell, but as you said, there was a point of exploitable.
I added it because I thought the spell was a pity to be forgotten. (I too, not want to allow damaging monsters out of LOS).
What about limiting range 3?
and...Oops, It was not explain clearly. They do not grant energy. I'm sorry for the confusion.
sky...what? Hey man, you know TOO MUCH... ;)

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 10:03

I have fixed the strange description clearly.

modified version

Piety
Legion uses the term energy instead of Piety. This number is 0 to 100.
Piety does not increase or decrease through the killing of enemies or exploration.
As the player moving to next map, the friendly 'energy parts' is randomly placed in the area, and the number of energy parts is proportional to the number of enemies.
When a player finds a energy parts, he can gain 8 energy.

Energy parts
Energy can not attack and move. When it enters the player's field of view, it changes to trooper.
Depending on the player's XL, damage and HP increase, but have very little HP (5 + XL / 2)

Trooper

Power
Active power damage proportional to XL
(Passive)Energy parts detection
You can know the location of energy parts.
(Passive)Force Field
When you gain or consume energy, create a force field for the player and for all troopers.
Buff to ignore any damage. and lasts for 1 turn.
(Passive)Feedback
The physical attack of the player causes a static discharge to the target. When an enemy dies with this effect, the player gains 1 energy.
The probability of this effect is increased in proportion to the number of trooper in sight.

(Active) Raid / cost 5 energy Short Exh.
Teleports to a random enemy and deals 5x5 damage to nearby enemies.
Recall all troopers.
(Active) Laser / cost 15 energy
The player fires a penetrating beam of range 3.
When there is more than 5 trooper in sight, troopers fire the laser together. (like a battle sphere).
(Active) Liberation / cost 30 energy
Range 2.
When there is more than 5 trooper in sight, range increases to 5x5.

Well, has the change been made clear?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 15:37

sdynet wrote:'Buff to ignore any damage. and lasts for 1 turn.'
This sentence originally has additional sentences.
'If you have more than five troopers, buffs lasts for 3 turn.'
but...This has great merit in keeping the trooper alive, but I am concerned that the player will feel more fatigued. And it is overly safe.

The tedious parts of keeping allies alive are things like paying attention to the HP of a large number of creatures, making sure they don't get into trouble outside of LOS (yes I know there's a recall ability, you still need to keep tabs on your buds), and the fact that ally AI is just not like even minimally competent player behavior, especially with respect to things like line of fire / line of sight management and clouds. And then needing to rest to heal not only yourself, but all your injured buddies.

If you're gonna do allies (and I don't think Crawl needs more allies, there are tons already!), something more like Hep, summons, or derived undead work fundamentally better — they're still extremely strong, but a lot of the most tedious aspects of their management don't apply.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 16:50

The whole thing seems to play like Beogh, but the description and intention appear to read like a personal fantasy, rather than creating an interesting game mechanic. It doesn't help that your description and modified description uses use multiple words to describe the same game mechanic multiple times along with generally unclear terminology without defining them properly. For instance after reading your description 10+ times, I still have no idea whether you intend your friendly trooper/trooper/energy/ friendly 'energy parts' / energy parts, to be actual items, monsters or simply created out of thin air as soon as you "find" them. How exactly are found? Through entering 7 squares, line of sight or moving over their tile? If they are monsters are they supposed to be able to be attacked by wandering monsters or wake sleeping ones? When you say "power" is that "god power" or "power as related to energy"?

Not to mention the sheer amazing OP of whenver you kill someone with a physical attack (range included? What about Earth spells?) you ignore any damage for one turn, meaning that with a fast powerful weapon you can sit there being generally invincible.

You should concentrate first on interesting gameplay and how to express them, before applying descriptions.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 20th February 2018, 10:31

Plantissue wrote:The whole thing seems to play like Beogh, but the description and intention appear to read like a personal fantasy, rather than creating an interesting game mechanic. It doesn't help that your description and modified description uses use multiple words to describe the same game mechanic multiple times along with generally unclear terminology without defining them properly. For instance after reading your description 10+ times, I still have no idea whether you intend your friendly trooper/trooper/energy/ friendly 'energy parts' / energy parts, to be actual items, monsters or simply created out of thin air as soon as you "find" them. How exactly are found? Through entering 7 squares, line of sight or moving over their tile? If they are monsters are they supposed to be able to be attacked by wandering monsters or wake sleeping ones? When you say "power" is that "god power" or "power as related to energy"?

Not to mention the sheer amazing OP of whenver you kill someone with a physical attack (range included? What about Earth spells?) you ignore any damage for one turn, meaning that with a fast powerful weapon you can sit there being generally invincible.

You should concentrate first on interesting gameplay and how to express them, before applying descriptions.

I tried to find a novel concept that was different from the existing gameplay method, but as I focused on the concept, I seemed to have neglected to play and how to express them.
I would like to discard this proposal or replace it in some other way.
Thank you for your feedback. :)

Return to Game Design Discussion