Unrand ideas: Branded gloves for UC

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th February 2018, 02:09

Unrand ideas: Branded gloves for UC

Inspired by the Amulet of Mighty Fists thread, two ideas for UC brand items. Basic parameters:

* Just More Damage is not very interesting, so probably not {flame} or {freeze} or {elec} or {drain}
* {vamp} and {antimagic} UC is kind of Vine Stalker's schtick
* Gloves are a pretty good slot, so you don't wind up with branded Blade Hands or claws
* Flavor is fun

So!

Code:
The +3 Apocalypse Shell Gauntlets {chaosUC sInv}

Crafted from the shells of chaotic arthropods bound by a strange force, these gauntlets allow the wearer to inflict powerful but unpredictable effects on those they strike by hand.

Hated by Zin, because of course*. The sInv is because {chaos} turning monsters invisible is really irritating; flavor-wise the crabs have it anyhow. Very very rarely, Yiuf could spawn with these instead of his staff.

Code:
The -1 Gloves of the Phase {distortUC EV+4}

These gossamer gloves seem to hover between this dimension and another. When worn, they allow the wearer to warp and distort space around those they strike by hand.

Basically just a distortion-for-UC-folks unrand. No removal penalty, because there's no particular reason for one here — you're not gonna wear 'em by accident, and "swapping" is already possible. Allows wielding other weapons or melding to suppress the effects. Provides no AC, but does give EV. One other alternative would be to give it no EV, but provide an auto-regenerating Shroud of Golubria effect — more complicated, but maybe more flavorful.

* Actually does Zin really not hate chaos brand? Wiki doesn't mention it but huuuh?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 3
Hellmonk, nago, PlatinumSpider

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 9th February 2018, 02:36

Re: Unrand ideas: Branded gloves for UC

The +0 gloves "Bad Touch" {painUC}

Magically crafted by a particularly heinous Lich, these bony gloves allow the wearer to inflict immense pain on the living with an unarmed strike.

Opens up that UC + necromancy playstyle. You could have the glove enchant increase when a skeleton having enemy is punched to death, capping out at +5 and decaying over time, if it isn't gimmicky enough.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
Bleyddyn, njvack

Barkeep

Post Friday, 9th February 2018, 03:56

I'd probably have it change slaying and do it on killing anything susceptible to pain, but yeah I like it.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th February 2018, 04:21

the +2 Gloves of the Templar {Holy WrathUC}

Because by late-game this is really what every UC user wants. Maybe toss on an rN/rTorm ego to be fitting.

also just going to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee over my first decent idea actually being considered legit

For this message the author Alphaeus has received thanks:
Bleyddyn

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th February 2018, 16:17

I think it'd be worth it thinking of an oddball brand that doesn't already have a place in the game.

So the first thing I thought was silver. "Claws of the Silver Crab". Give claws 2, silver, ancient crab loved by Zin and torn to pieces by its own vicious chaotic progeny.

But there are a few silver items in the game. There also are explosive weapons (devastator and firestarter). Disarming too.

I'd like perforation, like "you punch this guy, and the guy behind him!", but it looks like it would actually be quite boring with positioning. Also, again with the "make an optimal position (corridor) even more optimal".

Something that isn't a brand yet are "gloves of the shattering fist" and "glove of the hurricane". Shattering fist: added damage against land-based enemies, hurricane: bonus against flying enemies.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Bleyddyn

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th February 2018, 16:25

@Shtopit

I like the concept, but here's a permutation of that:

1) The generic brand-type gloves become a new item...maybe gauntlets? Generate commonly enough.

2) There are then unrand versions of gauntlets that do interesting effects...for one example, replace the shillelagh unrand (I mean...a club? really?) with gauntlets that do the same thing (the shatter effect).

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th February 2018, 18:09

Isn't that exactly the same idea as your previous idea, but replacing amulet with glove. I still don't see a reason for "your weapon slot is now your glove slot".

I don't see a problem with an unrandart, because it'll just does what an unrandart does normally. Though I would prefer that such a glove unarmed attack unrandart would have a damage flavour that is unusual. Maybe a "glove of shadow boxing" that does shadow stab attacks or "gauntlet of the water elemental" that does engulfing effects , or "Fist of the Imperial Myrmidon" that reduces magic resistance.

For this message the author Plantissue has received thanks: 4
duvessa, njvack, Rast, Terrapin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th February 2018, 23:49

Duvessa thanked a post that included the phrase "Imperial Myrmidon"? I demand an explanation for this hypocrisy!

(reference: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23390&start=0)

In short (so you don't have to read the whole post):

duvessa wrote:Oh and something I'll mention here because it doesn't fit anywhere else: "Imperial myrmidon" doesn't even make sense!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 18:40

What about gloves of confusion, basically the confusing touch spell, but permanent?

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th May 2018, 19:38

Since it's probably fallen through the history floor...

My idea was a (non unrand) pair of gloves that don't add any AC, but any enchantment increases to-hit but not damage for unarmed only. With a bonus ability that they don't meld into any form so the +to-hit is available in any form.

I have the plus to UC hit only and the non-meldy parts working, but see no way to do the zero AC or enchants go to +hit instead of AC.

Return to Game Design Discussion