Diversify Monster Ogre and Giant Weapons

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th January 2018, 01:25

Diversify Monster Ogre and Giant Weapons

Player ogres have had their aptitudes changed and weapons besides giant clubs are now feasible for them. Monster ogres still wield only giant clubs. It would be less boring, and better reflect player ogres, if they gained a wider range of weapons or even occasionally sported shields. Furthermore, faster weapon types might make them more challenging.

Frost giants and fire giants always have exactly the same weaponry. Again this is just boring. In addition, LBl players always know they'll eventually get a flaming great sword, and Axe players always know they'll eventually get a freezing battleaxe. A diversity of weapon types even as the thematic brand stays the same, and again with the possibility of shields, makes them more interesting enemies and perhaps also have them be weapon sources for a wider range of characters.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th January 2018, 02:03

Re: Diversify Monster Ogre and Giant Weapons

Why is it boring for an enemy to have consistent weapons? I don't really approach frost giants and flame giants differently because of the weapons they hold, and if they randomly picked from great maces/battleaxe/great sword it would not affect how I fight them. The only weapon type I approach differently on monsters is polearms.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th January 2018, 11:25

Shard1697 wrote:Why is it boring for an enemy to have consistent weapons? I don't really approach frost giants and flame giants differently because of the weapons they hold, and if they randomly picked from great maces/battleaxe/great sword it would not affect how I fight them. The only weapon type I approach differently on monsters is polearms.
Would frost/fire giants not be more interesting, if they sometimes had polearms?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th January 2018, 16:13

They'd certainly be more annoying, since then I'd have to keep inspecting giants to see which weapon they have.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 26th January 2018, 16:19

Game design question: why do so many monsters hold actual weapons? Is it for flavor, or so more of those weapons spawn, or so different monsters of the same type will present varying threat levels, or is there some other mechanical distinction I'm missing?

Like, if fire giants didn't actually have flaming great swords, but instead had AF_FIRE and 15 more base damage, would they be meaningfully different?

Edit: I guess it makes a slight difference if you're using captain's cutlass or animating zombies?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th January 2018, 16:43

njvack wrote:Game design question: why do so many monsters hold actual weapons?

Tukima's Dance!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
Airwolf, nago, njvack

Return to Game Design Discussion