Change levelup stat choice interface

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th January 2018, 18:46

Change levelup stat choice interface

The keys for increasing strength, intelligence, and dexterity on levelup are:
s - same key used for waiting and saving by default
i - same key used for showing inventory or spells by default
d - same key used for dropping items by default

This means that players often accidentally raise the wrong stat because they leveled up right before trying to do one of those actions.
There are not enough comfortably reachable unused keys to simply change the keys used for stat choice - every letter and number is already used, although lowercase p is not, and so are ,<.>/?;:'"[{]}=!@#$%^&*()\|, Tab, Space, Enter, PgUp, PgDn...
So it would be best to change the interface for this altogether (or possibly the mechanic itself). Make the player confirm their choice with Y, perhaps.

Failing all that, strength is the worst offender because of mashing 's' and enter/space while monsters die to your allies or clouds. So at least require the player to press the uppercase letter, instead of accepting lowercase s/i/d.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 10
bel, chequers, Fingolfin, Krag, nago, runewalsh, Sprucery, Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid, yesno

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th January 2018, 19:43

Re: Change levelup stat choice interface

Yes, please. Even just requiring uppercase letters would be fine imo. (And really easy to implement.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 9
chequers, duvessa, Fingolfin, Majang, nago, njvack, rigrig, sdynet, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th January 2018, 21:48

duvessa wrote:Failing all that, strength is the worst offender because of mashing 's' and enter/space while monsters die to your allies or clouds. So at least require the player to press the uppercase letter, instead of accepting lowercase s/i/d.

Interesting, I've never used 's' for 'wait'. I'd always used '.' I can imagine that that'd be pretty annoying (selecting strength when you didn't want to), 'i' and 'd' are at least actions that you wouldn't regularly take while there's critters you are trying to kill, but waiting is somewhat often a way to kill things, probably why this never comes up for me, personally.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th January 2018, 03:12

d is an action I use a lot because it's my move right key

always gotta account for different control schemes, which IMO is a point for using uppercase symbols for stat levelup

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Majang

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 18th January 2018, 10:44

My control scheme happens to be : (s)trife left, (l)unge right, (i)nto the frozen north, (x)-files went to antarctica which is south, (d)own to the next level, (D)on't go down go up you are gonna die dude.

So maybe get a popup screen that pauses the game, and makes the player type "str" or "int" or "dex". I would also like a pop-up screen for god-gifts :"Okwarau dropped some crap, do you want to pick it up or do you want to go another three levels before realizing and coming back to check it out?".

For this message the author crawlnoob has received thanks:
yesno

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 18th January 2018, 11:02

I don't remember the last time I took the wrong stat (though it has definitely happened to me). The logical way to fix it would be to have a confirmation: "are you sure? (yes/no)".

Uppercase letters could also work, though they theoretically have the same problem (I type "I" a lot, for example). If one really wants to fix it, no need for halfway measures.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
Plantissue

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th January 2018, 16:52

How about F1 F2 F3? Are they used for anything?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th January 2018, 18:18

Shtopit wrote:How about F1 F2 F3? Are they used for anything?
Not a web dev, but I think it would interfere with browser commands in webtiles ( like Ctrl+W)
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th January 2018, 19:35

Not to mention that many modern laptop keyboards make those keys pretty inconvenient to access.

Also, there's no obvious way to access them on a Chromebook. While that particular case is a non-issue at the moment as anyone playing DCSS on a Chromebook is either a) playing it on webtiles which already needs another solution or b) tech-savvy enough to get back the F-keys, it does point to a definite trend away from those keys. Binding an essential game function to them is not good future-proofing.

Return to Game Design Discussion