sacrifice all corpses in LOS

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 15:28

sacrifice all corpses in LOS

last really annoying thing in crawl:

to be follower of god which demands corpse sacrifices (such as Trog)

so here is proposal:

1) sacrifice all corpses in LOS is ritual and lasts n + 1 turns (n = number of corpses)
2) ritual is interrupted when any monster actually is in LOS or enters LOS

in game mechanic it's similar to Fedhas corpse sacrifices, but needs more time and can be interrupted.

pros: getting rid of lots of tedium actions
cons: ?

For this message the author radzia has received thanks:
tazoz

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 16:23

Re: sacrifice all corpses in LOS

Something like this would be nice, Fedhas corpse sacrificing is the best. An alternative solution would be an option to make autoexplore automatically travel to and stop at corpses. It's already possible to make it stop at every new item stack found which I find useful especially when clearing places like orc - it'll automatically stop on top of each new stack of orc corpses and gear, making clearing up mostly a matter of just pressing p and o repeatedly (or macroing o to po!).

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 21:58

There is a gameplay effect of the proposal: there are monsters (and there could be more, in my opinion) who make use of corpses. The sacrifice suggestion would render those monsters impotent for all followers of blood gods. I don't think we want that.

I think that the interface can be improved: It is often clear what items are relevant for sacrifice purposes (corpses for blood gods, ^!-selected items for Nemelex, _not_ all weapons for Elyvilon but all evil weapons and randart weapons (see Elyvilon proposal on the wiki), all orc corpses for Beogh). There is no reason not to make explore walk to those items. I could even imagine autosacrifice, taking hunger sitatuation into account.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 22:09

I think that autoexploring to all usable items is a good call. An Okwaru worshipper should autoexplore to each corpse to that it can be burthers or sacced or otherwise used. (Likewise, I always pick up the first pair of boots that I run across. I should autoexplore to boots and pick them up! Same goes for other things I put on my body.)

If the options are many, giving worshippers of gods that like sacrifices the option to control how saccing works from the ^ screen might be nice, a-la Nemelex.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 22:14

Yes. I believe that many interface proposals these days are decent, but provide not enough return for the work of coding and maintaining them. Not so here. Since sacrifice is a very, very common action, making it faster (and use less keystrokes, if possible), is called for. I don't think that Nemelex-like choices are needed: all other gods are only interesting in one type of item.

On the other hand, we could make autoexplore go to boots if you have none and pick them up. But here I have doubts if it's worth it. How many turns do you lose by doing it manually? If you forgot where the boots are, there is always Ctrl-F. So I'd recommend against that feature.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 23:01

Off-topic, but it would be nice if Scrolls of Detect Curse worked on all items in LOS. No more juggling of items at your stash.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 23:55

Instead of worrying about whether or not a corpse can be sacrificed, why not just stop on all corpses? You can then 'c', 'p', 'z', 'g', etc. - Whatever you might need to do. There are so many things that can be done with corpses that I would think the effort would be better to just put in a flag that can be set in init.txt to stop autoexplore on single corpses.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Return to Game Design Discussion