Remove javelin and tomahawk brands

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 3rd January 2018, 01:37

Remove javelin and tomahawk brands

All of the other ammo brands were removed because they made inventory management really annoying, so I think that throwing brands should be removed too. This would be a nerf to the power of throwing weapons, so it's possible that they could get a slight buff to compensate.

For this message the author Squidcat has received thanks: 5
duvessa, emikaela, Majang, nago, VeryAngryFelid

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 3rd January 2018, 06:34

Re: Remove javelin and tomahawk brands

I have no position on whether the brands should be removed or not (I don't play throwing characters much). However, the reasoning in the OP is not really tight: ammo brands were removed, but launcher brands remain. So you can't directly compare ammo and javelins/tomahawks.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd January 2018, 10:40

The problem with throwing is imho ammo type X ammo brand. This leads to a lot of different throwables.

With launchers you only have launcher brand. Yes, there can be launcher type, but there aren't many reasons to alternate between long and shortbow, so in my experience it doesn't really count.

Throwable brands have a little niche in the "ignores MR" category. I think that removing brands and moving them to some miscellaneous evocable item recharged over time would be good. So there only are stones - tomahawks - javelins - large rocks. And then you can have the rod/box of silver explosion, poison gasses, scrambling, and some needle effects too.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 4th January 2018, 00:10

if not this, then at least make the brands unique to one weapon type each. it's redundant to have poisonous needles/tomahawks/javelins all in the game.

For this message the author emikaela has received thanks: 4
Majang, Rast, sdynet, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Game Design Discussion