Thought on the apts screen & stats

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 15:12

Thought on the apts screen & stats

(1) Having HP and MP on the aptitudes (%) screen is really nice. Might additional info about which stats increase and how often be a good addition to the aptitudes screen? Stat gain is easily-observed in game so it might as well be presented along side apts, I suppose. There are two types of stats increases, random and selected. For random, SID/3 could mean random stat increase every 3 levels, on average. (SD/3 would mean either Str or Dex every three levels.) Another column would be needed for the selected stat increase (the number could be increase's periodicity). The columns could be labels RSt and SSt I suppose. I know that not all species would fit into this scheme perfectly, with some gaining stats at different rates throughout the game, but a decent approximation might help. (Or have the reasons that some species gain stats at different rates throughout the game become obsolete...?)

(2) The aptitudes screen contains a spoiler warning. Should this be removed, now that all players are spoiled once they see the skills screen, which displays aptitudes? (Or should something else be done so that players are not spoiled by the skills screen? Or is it not a problem...?)

(3) The experience column could be displayed just like the HP and MP columns. Use the number 0 to -6 as the percentage point increasing in the amount of expierience needed to advance to the next experience level, relative to humans. The text for HP, MP and Exp could be combined. "These values indicate the rate of Hit Point, Magic Point, and Experience Level gain relative to humans. For example, -5 means 50% more experience must be earned."

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 22:11

Re: Thought on the apts screen & stats

(1) I am not sure that is really worth it. If at all, I'd rather put it into the manual (species descriptions) rather than the ?% screen which has so many numbers already -- it looks like a spreadsheet :)

(2) Good point. What probably should remain in the header is a declaration that indulging with the matrix of numbers is not necessary to play.

(3) Another good point.

Thanks!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th September 2011, 09:53

Re: Thought on the apts screen & stats

It is one thing to look at the aptitudes for the skills you already have and to look at the aptitudes for all species at once. I don't mind giving the list (heck, I made the ?% screen) but I want to make sure that players don't think they have to read the numbers carefully only because they're starting to play the game.

Return to Game Design Discussion