New god proposal : Iquotin, the god of Betrayer

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 21st November 2017, 15:34

New god proposal : Iquotin, the god of Betrayer

You can't believe Iquotin without abandon a religion
powers are based on level of invocation
all active powers have cooldowns, and CD counts are based on god's wraths

if the wrath is kind of summoning monsters, you have to kill or kick to abyss all of them to grow your piety

Hates
Nothing

Powers

1. Passive : God's wrath's power follows piety (0% in first, to 200% in full piety)
2. Passive : when player is not under wrath of a god, player must choose one god and the god's wrath starts

Passive : level of invocation grows without requiring exp

Active : CD : 1 (you can reuse this power after surviving god's wrath 1 time)
choose and drink a potion(cure, cure wounds, brilliance, agility, might)

Passive : stat grows. 50% to major one, and 25% each to others, when piety grows 10
so player will get 8 to major, 4 each to others
It is not a mutation or buff(like chei or Zin's vitality), just like level up stats

Active : CD : 2
choose and read a scroll(fear, blink, teleportation(you will teleport right after using this power), fog, holy word, torment, summoning)
effects of this power ignores any resistance, you can do torments to demons or even pandemonium lords

Active : CD : 1
remove 1 mutation
you can choose it, but you can't remove race traits

Passive : Iquotin gives player gifts after surviving god's wrath
cost of gifts grow as piety grows
from weapons to miscs, scroll and potions, following player's skill level(like if player's evocation level is 0, no miscs)

Passive : wraths are given only when player is in battle from now

Active : CD : 3
make all enemy confused
duration is decided by monster's HD and players Invocation level

Get lots of EXP, amount is 2 potions of exp
player is betrayed by Iquotin, can believe any god with 100 piety preserved

Wraths

when player betray iquotin and believe another god, the god's wrath are given to player as piety grows, until player have *** piety

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st November 2017, 18:11

Re: New god proposal : Iquotin, the god of Betrayer

I like it. Using any active ability puts all of Iquotin's active abilities on cooldown? May be overpowered otherwise.

Seems obvious there are too many features. Could remove some eg free XP/stats/mutation support, while keeping a core, interesting concept?

>2. Passive : when player is not under wrath of a god, player must choose one god and the god's wrath starts

This could be improved by offering a choice of 3. "Iquotin is currently at odds with these other divinities. Choose one to fervently oppose:" This could be supported by an opportunity to view those gods' wrath descriptions.

I like that Iquotin betrays the player at max piety. Doesn't even need the parting gift of 100 piety for next god IMHO. Of course you are still incurring a god's wrath at this point without Iquotin's support, though no longer amped up in power to near-200%.

Iquotin could be wrathless upon leaving him, or just refresh the duration of the current other-god's wrath.

Iquotin should maybe not be a Temple god, so that betrayer-worship is opportunistic rather than premeditated.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 01:21

wons1938 wrote:Iquotin

i quotin this post

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 12:10

Funny idea. Confusion is decent, frenzy would be a step up and fitting to the theme.

Lower level : chance to confuse all monsters in LOS. (They dont know who they are aligned with and may attack one another)
Higher level : chance to frenzy all monsters in LOS. (They go ape shit on one another and might even take it out on you)

For this message the author crawlnoob has received thanks: 2
sdynet, wons1938

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 18:00

If you are serious about this proposal, I recommend re-writing it as a proper pitch. The mechanics are the least interesting thing to write about. The first statement should answer "What's the hook? Why should I care to read the rest of this?"

Of course, you might have just wanted to have some fun expressing yourself, with no care of what happens afterwards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th November 2017, 19:29

The idea of a god whose piety gain mechanic is surviving another god's wrath is interesting, but it's a lot of work because now you have to potentially worry about balancing god's wraths vs each other, which is not something that has really been done yet. Some gods like Sif Muna have a fairly targeted wrath - interfering with spellcasting. If you were never a spellcaster to begin with because your only interest in Sif was to abandon Sif, then a lot of that has no effect on you. Then there's gods in the middle like Gozag who can haste or might enemies, but doesn't summon packs on top of you; and finally gods like trog who airdrops berserked giants right next to you.

So the first conclusion is that you'll likely want to try to bump up some of the weaker wraths so that you have at least a reasonable floor and there aren't "free piety" god wraths. Secondly you want to make the god choice random, so that the player can't prepare for a specific one and then only choose easy god wraths.

Finally, while it's interesting to have the god abandon you at the end, it presents further issues if players have reasonable control over their piety. If no god abilities cost piety and it doesn't decay, then perhaps the player won't be able to game the system, but you'd have to be careful with it. Also it doesn't really make sense for Iquotin to betray you and then suddenly other gods love you more, when you've been fighting other gods all along.

It also means Iquotin is a god you take to get permenant character buffs which last past your worship of Iquotin, which is generally discouraged. Gods are meant to require worship to get any benefits from them, there are some exceptions with gifting gods and especially the equipment you can get from Gozag, which do remain. But it's generally not intended for a player to worship a god for permenant benefits so that there's a reason to switch between multiple gods accruing more and more power from each. Most games the player worships one and only one god all along.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th December 2017, 16:08

I agree that the core concept of a god built around enduring the wrath of other gods is interesting. Perhaps a possible alternative would be an activated ability at 0 piety thaat allows you to deface the altars of other gods. This would be the primary piety gain method for this god. Any god whose altar you have defaced would enter wrath against you. This god could grant some extremely powerful effects as piety increases, but prolong god wrath indefinitely.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 19th December 2017, 17:57

Alright, let's build off of this, I think it's becoming a more and more solid proposal for a high-risk high-reward deity.

I like continuumg's addition about defacing altars to anger gods. I see a couple different ways this could work:

1. Piety is granted immediately, and the amount gained is proportional to the difficulty of the wrath (with Ru-esque modifiers for gods like Sif/Kiku/Vehumet, so that if you are a dedicated caster you can get a big payoff for angering a god that will interfere with your killdude skills). However, you can only experience one god's wrath at a time.
2. You can experience multiple different sources of wrath. Piety is granted over time while wrath is active.

More on piety: Upon joining Iquotin, you gain * piety if you previously abandoned a god. Being a betrayer, I'm sure he's evil-aligned, so the good gods will be pissed if you join him, and guarantees some starting wrath.

I think, in addition to having Iquotin not be a temple god, that Iquotin worshippers should be banned from entering the ecumenical temple (makes sense, all the gods hate Iquotin). There are plenty of non-temple altars to deface with the way generation goes right now.
Current Victories:
Spoiler: show
3 Runes: GrEE^Ru, CeBe^Trog, SpEn^Gozag, KoAr^Dith, TeAE^Kiku, TrCK^Xom.
4 Runes: VSFi^Qaz.
5 Runes: DsGl^Oka, MiGl^Hep, GnWz^Sif.
9 Runes: DDAr^Makh.
15 Runes: HOFi^TSO->Zin, DEFE^Veh
For now...

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th December 2017, 19:19

Vanguardan wrote:Alright, let's build off of this, I think it's becoming a more and more solid proposal for a high-risk high-reward deity.

I like continuumg's addition about defacing altars to anger gods. I see a couple different ways this could work:

1. Piety is granted immediately, and the amount gained is proportional to the difficulty of the wrath (with Ru-esque modifiers for gods like Sif/Kiku/Vehumet, so that if you are a dedicated caster you can get a big payoff for angering a god that will interfere with your killdude skills). However, you can only experience one god's wrath at a time.
2. You can experience multiple different sources of wrath. Piety is granted over time while wrath is active.

More on piety: Upon joining Iquotin, you gain * piety if you previously abandoned a god. Being a betrayer, I'm sure he's evil-aligned, so the good gods will be pissed if you join him, and guarantees some starting wrath.

I think, in addition to having Iquotin not be a temple god, that Iquotin worshippers should be banned from entering the ecumenical temple (makes sense, all the gods hate Iquotin). There are plenty of non-temple altars to deface with the way generation goes right now.

I like banning this worshipper from the Temple -- mechanically that prevents a glut of defacement. Abandon Iquotin to get back in.

One downside of the defacement approach is that there would come to be an optimal play standard based on survivability of the wrath of other gods. eg "Carry 2 wraths at a time, in priority order from list #1 if you're primarily a caster and list #2 otherwise."

A "pick one divinity to fervently oppose" offering of three, a la Ru, would mix things up more.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Return to Game Design Discussion