Don't offer to wear a ring in the same slot as the same ring

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 19th November 2017, 20:25

Don't offer to wear a ring in the same slot as the same ring

I love the quality of life feature where if you're wearing two of the same ring, you won't be prompted which ring to replace when putting on another ring. But why doesn't it work in the other direction?

If I'm wearing a ring of MR and a ring of C+, and I go to put on another ring of MR, it should automatically replace the ring in the C+ slot instead of asking me which slot I want to wear the second MR ring in, no?

For this message the author ClefAria has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, Majang

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th November 2017, 22:34

Re: Don't offer to wear a ring in the same slot as the same

Only if you know the new ring is not cursed.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 19th November 2017, 23:11

crawlnoob wrote:Only if you know the new ring is not cursed.

Why would the possibility of the second MR ring being cursed make any difference? If the in-game action you take is to put on a ring of which you are wearing an identical type, I can't see any scenario where you would want to wear it in place of the ring of that type you are already wearing.

Maybe if you're worshipping Ash and you're wearing an uncursed ring and putting on a known-cursed ring of the same type...that's the only exception I can think of.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 04:03

In any scenario where the new ring is curse, you can still just swap the old ring out for the other ring you were wearing.

So this makes the scenario where you want to equip a second identical ring slightly more convenient, but makes the scenario where you want to check if a ring is curse or not by swapping it with an identical non-cursed ring slightly less convenient.

I would say the first scenario is probably more common overall, so I would be in favor of this change.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 07:05

You are wearing ring A and ring B. You have a copy ring A2, which you do not know is cursed. You often swap ring A with some other rings, as ring B is a central piece of your defenses. However, you find yourself in a special situation where you should use both ring A and ring A2 at the same time. If you automatically swap ring A2 for ring B, and ring A2 is cursed, you can always swap ring A for ring B to get back to your original configurations. Only now your swapping ring is no longer removable.

Believe it or not, you can be in a game where the RNG does not give you remove curse scrolls for quite some time, or you use them up, etc.. The extra swapping also takes some turns, which could be life threatening if you happen to be doing this in a very dangerous situation. The optimal behavior is to swap ring A for ring A2 in a non-dangerous situation, to check for curses. Only with your proposal, the player no longer has this choice and has to force the situation by first removing ring B.

So the prompt for which ring to replace should still come up if the copy ring has never been worn. Once it has been worn, your proposal makes perfect sense. The fact that this exception is a less common occurance is an argument FOR including it, not the other way around. The player is not going to be bothered by the exception except in the rare cases where it may actually be important.

This is IMHO a very good argument for removing or heavily reworking the curse mechanic.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 11:33

If you are worried (why?) about the extra turns in the extremely marginal case you described, you can first remove A first, and then put on A2.

Of course, if you don't know the cursed status of the new ring, there's nothing wrong with having a prompt anyway,

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 12:34

bel wrote:Of course, if you don't know the cursed status of the new ring, there's nothing wrong with having a prompt anyway,

That is exactly my point.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 02:39

crawlnoob wrote:The extra swapping also takes some turns

Believe it or not, but putting on a ring instead of another ring is exactly the same as removing that second ring and then putting on the first ring. Both variants take two turns lasting 0.5 auts each. In both variants monsters are able to act after you removed a ring but before you put on another one. The first variant exists solely for the player's convenience.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Return to Game Design Discussion