Show $ Somewhere in Main Screen

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th November 2017, 02:27

Show $ Somewhere in Main Screen

The main screen shows you everything you have in your inventory, but not the amount of gold you have collected. (tiles, local) If gold doesn't need such a prominent location as it previously had, it would still make sense to have a recognizable icon for it in the lower part of the screen, showing the amount you possess.

Now I'm hoping that I just didn't miss the gold icon for the last five months...
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 3
Fingolfin, PlatinumSpider, yesno

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 13th November 2017, 13:58

Re: Show $ Somewhere in Main Screen

No. it is indeed gone, and I hate it that I have to click or type a few things in order to find out. The $ was replaced with the noise bar. Apparently there is only so much space on the screen.
Maɟaŋ

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 13th November 2017, 14:00

Maybe put it as the first "item" in your (I)nventory screen, then.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 15th November 2017, 16:39

That's a really good point. I'm not sure I miss it on WebTiles, but I've personally never used the giant inventory box on local tiles, and a gold display would certainly rank much higher on my priority list than that thing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th November 2017, 17:57

As a slightly-related point, you can always press '$' to see your current gold (and anything on your shopping list)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 05:52

Siegurt wrote:As a slightly-related point, you can always press '$' to see your current gold (and anything on your shopping list)

The problem with this screen, is my eyes are immediately drawn to the "total" in the top-left corner: this is the total amount of all your shopping list items. Then I remember that the actual number is down in the bottom-left corner of the screen, for some reason I find it unnatural to look there for it.

Would be better if the top line had your gold amount first, then the shopping list total (e.g. "$1234 gold (shopping list total: $10232)") to make it clearer.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Plantissue

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 23rd November 2017, 02:23

Well, it already does this for Gozag characters and it makes them completely confusing and unplayable...

wait, what's that? It doesn't make them unmanageble? It just makes them slightly more convenient?

Huh. Imagine that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 01:02

Space isn't unlimited, you know. I think we can agree that showing gold is not worth getting rid of the HP, MP, or noise bars, or the display of piety, AC, EV, SH, XL, Next, Str, Int, Dex, Place, Time, or your weapon and quiver. And it is certainly not worth getting rid of a monster list line.
You could shove it in on the right of stats, or between AC/EV/SH and stats (perhaps right above Next:) but that isn't very aesthetically pleasing.
It's also more useful than showing your title, name, or species, so it could replace one of those, although name and species are useful for spectators.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 09:39

duvessa wrote:Space isn't unlimited, you know. I think we can agree that showing gold is not worth getting rid of the HP, MP, or noise bars,

The noise bar is fairly recent, and it actualy replaced the previous gold indicator. It was a good change, making noise actually visual, but after a bunch of games with the noise display, you get a pretty good feel of how much noise you make with each action so the noise bar isn't that important anymore. I think it would be good to allow the player to choose this, maybe through an option.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 09:59

Is name really useful for spectators? I believe they see player name before they can start spectating the game and character name is always the same as player name. Anyway I think it is better to make life of player easier even if it makes life of optional spectators harder.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th November 2017, 10:55

Title is purely ornamantle and should move to the in-depth character screen.

Return to Game Design Discussion