Add Turns to Messages

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 00:26

Add Turns to Messages

Messages currently don't display the number of the turn in which they were sent. This makes it occasionally very difficult to understand what's going on, or to learn from what's happened. Unless it depends on a rc file option, it would be good to have turns and auts displayed as a column to the left or the right of the messages.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 19:12

Re: Add Turns to Messages

The game does not advance by individual aut. It advances in player move/action increments. Each time the player does something it adds that much energy to all the mobs. All the mobs with enough energy to activate and act at the same time, even if they get multiple activations on the same turn. This is sorted by ?which monster was generated first? I think. (The first monster to be generated on a floor with enough activation energy will act first even if there is a hasted executioner that gets to act 3 times generated second.)

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 20:24

A good simplification of this idea that won't vomit a huge amount of mostly-meaningless digits on the screen would be to somehow distinguish messages that came from *this* turn. No, Crawl does not strictly advance by turns, but showing the player which messages came from the last 10aut could be useful in both understanding the progression of time and in choosing the current highest threats. IVAN does this by brightening messages from the current turn, but with Crawl's varied message colors that may not work as well. Perhaps putting a + sign or something similar next to "current" messages would work.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 20:58

The case in point for me is petrification. I never understood how long it lasts on the player, and if killing the monster causing it makes it last less.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 21:38

ion_frigate wrote:A good simplification of this idea that won't vomit a huge amount of mostly-meaningless digits on the screen would be to somehow distinguish messages that came from *this* turn.
Message turns are already indicated with underscores.

Return to Game Design Discussion