Wands

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 26th October 2017, 22:56

Wands

How about instead of having a bunch of different wand types, potentially stacked as proposed, we just carry one wand. Turn all wand drops into charge packs for your wand. How many types of effects you can load it with, and how many charges could potentially vary on various criteria. Maybe for fun, wands might blow up in your face if loaded with too many charge types and quantities of charges.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th October 2017, 23:50

Re: Wands

This sounds like a fun idea for a game that isn't crawl.

The problem with having a bunch of different wands would still remain with this, unless these packs didn't take up inventory space-but then it would also take more inputs to use wands and stuff.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 06:10

Re: Wands

svendre wrote:How about instead of having a bunch of different wand types, potentially stacked as proposed, we just carry one wand. Turn all wand drops into charge packs for your wand.

Sounds like this essentially is the same as just making wands not take up inventory space. Which would be convenient, whether it's a good idea or not would depend on whether the inventory limitation of wands right now is seen as meaningful or not. If it is, this would be a massive buff to wands, which means a buff to nearly all characters. If it's not, then this might be good as a QoL feature.

How many types of effects you can load it with, and how many charges could potentially vary on various criteria.

Wait, isn't this what we have now? You can carry around how various different types of wand charges (in the form of different wands), how many types you can have is based on inventory space, and how many charges is based on what you've found, scrolls of recharging, etc. I mean, I guess you're proposing we change the criteria to other things, but without actually proposing any specific criteria, this doesn't seem like a real suggestion to me at all.

"What if wand usage were limited by something different instead of how it works now?" is too vague to really discuss. If you have a specific suggestion for what the limits would be determined by, then suggest that and we can discuss that instead.

Maybe for fun, wands might blow up in your face if loaded with too many charge types and quantities of charges.

That doesn't sound fun at all to me, just infuriating. That's basically suggesting that if a play doesn't understand the rules of how many charges they can have and tries to add more, instead of just not letting them, you actually punish them by removing their wand for the rest of the game and I guess maybe doing some damage to them. That just seems spoilery, frustrating, and not a good fit for DCSS's design philosophy at all.

Return to Game Design Discussion