Distortion's instant Teleport needs to go away

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 1st November 2017, 16:55

Distortion's instant Teleport needs to go away

Its just terrible.

I think the other distortion effects are all good design-wise. Dangerous, maybe unadvisable but they make sense whether its you or monsters using it.

On the other hand, the instant teleport effect is a pain in the ass without bringing anything of value and an example of bad design for several reasons IMO.

First, here is why I think the other effects are good:

Bonus Damage is the main reason why you use it.

Its also part of why its scary when monsters use it.

Banishment is another reason why you use it - instakilling monsters is as powerful as it sounds, but this is compensated by being unreliable and Distortion in general being quite dangerous and the experience penalty.

Its also interesting on monsters, the player has enough information to react to it, and though harsh early on, banishment is mostly survivable.

Blink is the main reason its scary to use, despite its power, the tactical challenges Blink can create can be deadly combined with being unable to unwield it safely if you worship Lugonu - I think though it is sometimes a bit of a pain in the ass, its mostly good design to give the player extra power in exchange for extra risk.

When a monster wields it its also good. Can also be somewhat favorable or very dangerous.

Delayed Teleport its kinda there. But I think its not bad. When a monster becomes unstable you can decide whether to focus on killing it before it gets yanked away or to do the opposite, knowing this is what is going to happen. Gives the player a choice, doesn't feel particularly annoying.

When a monster hits you with this, its a similar situation. You can feel relieved if it was a bad situation (but you still have to survive till it yanks you) or you can try to kill the monster before you get yanked away.

Either way not bad.

Now, the Instant Teleport on the other hand is terrible on several levels.

First, it immediately creates an inconsistency with how Teleport normally functions - compared to an effect the same damn weapon you are using produces - which if I am not wrong goes against Crawl's principles.

Second, its somewhat redundant with Delayed Teleport. Why are there two Distortion Teleport effects instead of just one?

Third, it constantly disrupts the flow of combat. While Blink repositions your enemies and creates tactical challenges without ending the engagement, and Delayed Teleport gives you some time to adapt to the fact that the engagement is ending, Instant Teleport does neither. And that health you took off the enemy? A waste of your time, you get nothing for it. At least Banishment removes the threat from the level and gives you some XP for it.

The worst part is how damn frequent it is. It seems to happen every other battle.

When a monster uses this on you, it doesn't feel as exasperating because its not an effect you are constantly getting hit with, but you are either relieved you just got out of a bad situation for free (bad!), annoyed your enemy just got out of a bad situation for free (bad!) or just indifferent (not bad, not good)

Thoughts?

For this message the author Pereza0 has received thanks: 12
Airwolf, bel, duvessa, Floodkiller, Hellmonk, ichbins, nago, pedritolo, Shard1697, yesno and 2 more users

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 1st November 2017, 21:21

Re: Distortion's instant Teleport needs to go away

Remove both teleport effects

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 3
duvessa, pedritolo, Shard1697

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 1st November 2017, 23:14

chequers wrote:Remove both teleport effects

Fine by me.

Though the instant one is definitely higher up on my list

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 2nd November 2017, 21:36

This seems sensible
Wins:
(3 Runes) MiBe^Trog, DEFE^Veh, HOMo^Beo, SpEn^Goz, DDNe^Mak, MfGl^Fed, TrHu^Nem, DrSu^Ash, CeAK^Luc, GrEE^Kiku, {GhAr^WJC, HoGl^Beo}, GnWz^Oka, OgAM^Ydr
(15 runes) GrEE^Veh

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 4th November 2017, 22:21

Distortion is the best, but most tedious brand. It's actually broken on a mummy, IMO. Unless a monster can kill you in just a few turns (in which case why are you meleeing them?) there's generally two outcomes of Distortion, especially if you are fighting on the stairs.

a) You instantly kill the monster.

b) You blink or teleport the monster, and then can reset the fight. Go up the stairs, regenerate, go down the stairs, roll for banish again.

If you're trying hard enough you can kill everything with Distortion because of the way its effects work. Blinking/Teleporting is tedious but it's beneficial to your overall survival. The whole brand is a mess.

For this message the author charlatan has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 13:33

charlatan wrote:Distortion is the best, but most tedious brand. It's actually broken on a mummy, IMO. Unless a monster can kill you in just a few turns (in which case why are you meleeing them?) there's generally two outcomes of Distortion, especially if you are fighting on the stairs.

a) You instantly kill the monster.

b) You blink or teleport the monster, and then can reset the fight. Go up the stairs, regenerate, go down the stairs, roll for banish again.

If you're trying hard enough you can kill everything with Distortion because of the way its effects work. Blinking/Teleporting is tedious but it's beneficial to your overall survival. The whole brand is a mess.

I mean, that is tedious as hell, but you could argue you don't need to be such a scummy mummy to benefit from the Distortion brand. You can certainly play in ways that are less minD-numbing.

However, the tedium the instant teleport brings (and to a certain degree, the delayed one) - you can't opt-out of that one. It comes with the brand.

I would be fine with a full rework of distortion. However I think it should be redesigned about it not being a pain in the ass to use for the average player, scummyness should go second

Return to Game Design Discussion