Id: Think of the Gnolls!

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 29th October 2017, 22:26

Id: Think of the Gnolls!

I think that the identification minigame should be reduced to just scrolls, jewels and potions. Armour and weapons should generate fully identified.

The reasoning is the following: it is already burdensome, when you are in the late game and you have to manually identify all blue armour or weapons of the category that could interest you. Probably, by Vaults and Elf and Depths, you are already at this point.The chances that the items you are identifying will be useful get very, very low. This means that the player isn't making a tactical or strategic decision. The player only has to choose: do I want to play optimally, probably wasting my time and effort, slowing the game, doing inventory juggling to identify this stuff, or do I want to just go on and have my fun?

But now we have gnolls. Gnolls can use anything they find. Gnolls are interested into identifying anything they find. Gnolls have to stop and identify everything, unless they choose to just go on and ignore chances to power up.

To improve playability, armour and weapons should already be fully identified when seen on the floor, or in enemy hands. This would also solve a few problems, like displaying resistances you aren't supposed to know about (see e.g. leather armour of poison resistance).

Artifacts have a few interesting properties like *drain and *contamination, so they could be a special case and still need identification (so people can still end up in the robe of misfortune).

As for jewels, I have often said that 2-step identification should go. If you identify a +2 ring of strength, you should be able to tell the numerical value of all other rings of strength without having to individually id every single one of them. The current situation serves no purpose, and even curses are normally meaningless by the time you are finding the second ring or amulet of the same kind.

The interesting parts of the ID game are potions and scrolls, and, sometimes, wands (having to choose between having more charges and knowing what a single potion does). These can stay.

BTW, gnolls probably are one more reason why spell books should disappear as inventory items, since gnolls can potentially use all spells they find in a game, and I don't think it makes sense to force them to make trips to the books. Other species too, but gnolls make the problem more apparent.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 6
continuumg, nago, svendre, Terrapin, VeryAngryFelid, yesno

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 30th October 2017, 11:47

Re: Id: Think of the Gnolls!

Maybe Gnolls specifically should get some boon to identifying items more easily.

But I don't think every other race needs it.

And honestly, by the mid-late game most of the time you will have equipment good enough that you don't care to identify every blue item or every artefact anymore, even in weapon categories that interest you, just because no matter what you know it is not getting better than what you currently have

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 30th October 2017, 11:55

FR for 0.21: remove gnolls silly items detection, add "you automatically id weapons and armors" mut
FR for 0.22: make this standard for everyone.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Doesnt, Fingolfin, Plantissue, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th October 2017, 16:45

Shtopit, I partly agree.

For weapon brands, I suggest that the player always recognize a particular brand after identifying (from scroll or wielding or monster attacking with) that brand the first time. The same for armor, except that you don't get to ID from monster wearing them.

For rings with pluses/minuses, I suggest they be simplified to greater/lesser, and perhaps a few more bad ring egos created to keep wear-ID suitably risky.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
archaeo

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th November 2017, 13:04

I think it would make sense to automatically identify standard weapons/armour if you have high enough skill in the appropriate category. For weapons this could be at mindelay for the given weapon type; obviously if you have perfected usage of a weapon then you should know everything about it by sight. This would already help gnolls more than other species because they reach mindelay in multiple weapon categories at once. For shields and armour it should similarly be around the skill level when you have minimised the penalties. Randarts/fixedarts should still never be identified. I don't think jewellery needs anything changing.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 14th November 2017, 18:54

But randarts/fixedarts are always idenitified. Do you want to change that, or do I misunderstand you?
My thanks go to everything else you say - sounds like a good solution!
Maɟaŋ

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th November 2017, 21:16

Majang wrote:But randarts/fixedarts are always idenitified. Do you want to change that, or do I misunderstand you?
My thanks go to everything else you say - sounds like a good solution!

Surely they're only identified when you wield them (or sometimes, when you find them in a shop)?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th November 2017, 21:29

Fixedarts are always identified when you find them, with the exception of the Robe of Misfortune, that gets a randart-like description. Randarts, however, are unidentified (except possibly in shops).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 16th November 2017, 08:08

Oops, I didn't read carefully enough. Where you said randarts/fixedarts, I read unrands/fixedarts. My bad. Randarts are not identified.
Maɟaŋ

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 06:43

Yes, still my mistake about fixedarts tho! I have never really noticed seeing them identified on the ground for some reason.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 14:54

What is the difference between unrands/fixedarts?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 18th November 2017, 15:59

Plantissue wrote:What is the difference between unrands/fixedarts?

Unrandarts and fixedarts are the same thing. They're items with predefined properties and a unique tile.

Randarts have all their attributes randomly generated, and a randomly picked tile.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
Plantissue

Return to Game Design Discussion