Old Nemelex

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 14:26

Old Nemelex

Does anyone else prefer the old Nemelex style? I for one find it annoying that you cannot level piety nor gain decks faster through sacrificing. I find this annoying because if you started out as a class with high evoke but little else then you're screwed if you run out of decks. The issue here is that I find myself defenseless in between running out of cards from my first deck and acquiring my second, whereas with the old nemelex if I ran out of cards in my first deck I could sacrifice a bunch of things to at least give myself a chance of reloading my primary source of "ammunition" as it were. Furthermore thats not even touching on the fact that the new Nemelex runs on the over used "explore crap to gain piety" system. With the old Nemelex there was interaction between character and deity, there was thought about what you were sacrificing and there were ways to mitigate the crippling defensivelessness you have when you run out of cards from your first deck.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 14:53

Re: Old Nemelex

Nemelex should have been removed a long time ago. The current iteration is totally broken, giving a practically limitless supply of powerful effects from before you reach one star of piety with absolutely no cost other than the turn it takes to draw a card. I've seen a lot of people play nemelex online and no one spams card draws like I do. I still don't run out, no idea what you're talking about there. I certainly wouldn't want to dick around with floor junk to get more decks if I somehow did run out though.

The devs are more likely to remove nemelex than to return to something like old "sacrifice"-everything-in-the-dungeon nemelex.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

For this message the author watertreatmentRL has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 20th October 2017, 14:58

I still loathe new Nemelex because storm card and degen card fuck you so badly that the 'bad-deck-in-all-nemelex-versions' is at his lowest peak - aka you shouldn't almost never draw from it.

And oh yes I loathe Nemelex because even in his last version he's so degenerate that I wonder how he hasn't been reworked for the n+1 time or definitely put to rest.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 21st October 2017, 10:09

I actually really liked the old nemelex cause you actually had to fulfill(active) piety requirements for decks. This new iteration its more "hey heres a deck of destruction, hope you dont get fucked over by running out of cards before your second deck, however if you get that second deck go ahead and blitz the game with a slew of decks". The old one was basically worked so that you'd get a deck after a very large cooldown but you could lower that cooldown a little by interacting with nemelex in sacrificing things. This new one you're basically stuck rationing your first deck until you get your second, after that you're usually good but still. its underpowered until you get your second deck and stupidly overpowered after you get it. I really hope they go back to the old nemelex cause he was a fun deity to play with, if they remove him, or keep him as is i think I'll be done with DCSS tbh

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st October 2017, 12:22

jofadda wrote:I actually really liked the old nemelex cause you actually had to fulfill(active) piety requirements for decks. This new iteration its more "hey heres a deck of destruction, hope you dont get fucked over by running out of cards before your second deck, however if you get that second deck go ahead and blitz the game with a slew of decks". The old one was basically worked so that you'd get a deck after a very large cooldown but you could lower that cooldown a little by interacting with nemelex in sacrificing things. This new one you're basically stuck rationing your first deck until you get your second, after that you're usually good but still. its underpowered until you get your second deck and stupidly overpowered after you get it. I really hope they go back to the old nemelex cause he was a fun deity to play with, if they remove him, or keep him as is i think I'll be done with DCSS tbh

It's pretty overpowered at the first deck tbh.

For this message the author NhorianScum has received thanks:
duvessa

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 21st October 2017, 14:57

OP's experience is rather weird. My experience is that if I draw single cards often enough, I basically never run out of Nemelex decks or piety. Perhaps the OP uses triple draw/draw four too often? It would be better if they started drawing cards earlier in the fight, before they get into trouble.

Also, new Nemelex uses invocations, not evocations.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 22nd October 2017, 09:30

Until I read this thread, I was convinced that Nemelex gifted you more cards the more you use them, because of the "encourages" in the description.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 22nd October 2017, 19:33

Perhaps it is a misprint, as with old nemelex you gained piety (so actually more deck gift) using card and that part of description was maybe never updated.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Return to Game Design Discussion