About species sizes and how it is conveyed to the player

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 29th October 2017, 15:15

About species sizes and how it is conveyed to the player

What can we learn from the manual?
  • Halflings are about half the size of Humans.
  • Kobolds are small.
  • Spriggans are small. Due to their tiny size, they need very little food. (Do Halflings and Kobolds also need very little food?)
  • Ogres are huge.
  • Trolls are monstrous. (Does this even count as size description?)
  • Deep Dwarves are short.
  • Nothing mentions size of Centaurs, Nagas, Felids.
If we start the game and press 'A', we can learn:
  • Spriggans, Kobolds and Halflings: You are small and have problems with some larger weapons.
  • Ogres and Trolls: You are too large for most types of armour.
And that's pretty much it.
I'm all for narrative descriptions in manual, but only if there were also a special section about sizes, like this:
  Code:
Size
  Different species have different sizes: Spriggans and Felids ale little,
  Halflings and Kobolds are small, Nagas, Centaurs, Ogres and Trolls are large,
  all other species are medium-sized. Most transmutations will change your size
  too. Size affects your evasion: the smaller the more evasive you are. On the
  other hand, medium-sized (and smaller) species have penalties for moving and
  fighting in water. Other size-related quirks can be seen on the 'A' screen.
  In the dungeon you can also meet tiny, very large and giant creatures.

How does it help? First of all, now player has clear explanation for all this extra EV on some species at start or lack of it on others. Secondly, it doesn't state that size adds damage to attacks, as one could imagine. (Should it mention this explicitly? What do you think?) I wouldn't be surprised when told that many players were still under power of this delusion.

Now, if you are experienced player you could point out upon reading the section that large species get penalty for moving in shallow water too. But not for fighting, right? I think it would be a bit easier for new players to understand if both penalties disappeared beyond medium size. Small buff won't be a problem, will it? (By the way, did you know that large monsters already move in shallow water without penalty? Somewhat unfair :/)
Size also matters when it comes to constriction: you can't constrict monsters that are bigger than you and vice versa. It's probably too small fact to be mentioned in the section.
Next thing that could be done is to add size scale to '%' screen and/or size string to 'A' screen - useful when changing forms.

Thoughts, corrections?
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 11
chequers, duvessa, edgefigaro, nago, njvack, pedritolo, Reptisaurus, Sprucery, Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid and one more user

Barkeep

Post Monday, 30th October 2017, 13:30

Re: About species sizes and how it is conveyed to the player

Yermak wrote:Now, if you are experienced player you could point out upon reading the section that large species get penalty for moving in shallow water too. But not for fighting, right?

I actually didn't know this, thanks!
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th October 2017, 15:01

I think that species in general could use having a statblock somewhere. Actually, it might as well appear under the species list when you choose one. Add "! to activate/deactivate details"

So e.g.

Code:
Minotaur
Base attributes: STR 12, INT 5, DEX 5
Base stats: +10% HP, -1 to MP
Levelling: gain 1 point in an attribute of your choice every 3rd level, and one point in STR or DEX every 4th level, as well as +3 MR every level.
Innate mutations: Medium Horns, Reflexive Headbutt Counterattack
Size: Medium: can use all weapons and armour, except helmets, giant clubs and giant spiked clubs
Slowed and hindered by water.

Code:
Demigod
Base attributes: STR 11, INT 12, DEX 11
Base stats: +10% HP, +10% MP, +2 MP
Levelling: You level slowly, and gain 2 points in an attribute of your choice every 3rd level, as well as +4 MR every level.
Innate mutations: Demigods cannot have a god.
Size: Medium: can use all weapons and armour, except giant clubs and giant spiked clubs
Slowed and hindered by water.

Code:
Mummy
Base attributes: STR 11, INT 7, DEX 7
Levelling: You gain 1 point in an attribute of your choice every 3rd level and 1 point to a random attribute every fifth level, as well as +5 MR every level and a spell power boost for Necromancy spells at levels 13 and 26.
Innate mutations:
You never feel hunger and never eat.
You cannot drink potions.
You don't breathe and are immune to asphyxiation.
You are especially vulnerable to fire (rF-).
You move slowly.
You are undead. All undead resist cold (rC+) and are immune to poison, negative energy, torment, and normal sources of rotting. The undead are vulnerable to weapons of holy wrath, cannot go berserk, rot instead of mutating, and cannot memorise Transmutation spells that would transform the caster, as well as Regeneration, Sublimation of Blood, Death's Door and Borgnjor's Revivification. The undead may not worship The Shining One, Zin, Elyvilon, or Fedhas Madash.
Size: Medium: can use all weapons and armour, except giant clubs and giant spiked clubs
Further slowed and hindered by water.

Code:
Merfolk
Base attributes: STR 8, INT 7, DEX 9
Levelling: you level quickly; gain 1 point in an attribute of your choice every 3rd level, and one point in a random attribute every 5th level, as well as +3 MR every level.
Innate mutations: When you enter water, your boots are melded into your body and deactivated.
Amphibious; in shallow and deep water, your speed, evasion, and stealth are increased.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Seven Deadly Sins, Sprucery, VeryAngryFelid, yesno

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 30th October 2017, 16:51

Also size affects constrict-ability and net-ability. Knowing which monster gets constriction is super important to playing octopodes.

Did you know that treeform players can get net-ed?

Return to Game Design Discussion