Combine !Agility, !Might and !Brilliance.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 1st August 2017, 10:07

Combine !Agility, !Might and !Brilliance.

What?
  1. Create a potion (Potion of Augmentation?) that gives all the effects of !Agility, !Might and !Brilliance.
  2. Set generation rate somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of !Agi, !Mig, !Bri combined.
  3. Remove !Agility, !Might, !Brilliance.
  4. Adjust backgrounds, i.e. Fi and Wn.
  5. Tweak generation rate as required.

Why?
  • Reduces inventory clutter.
  • Creates a strong desirable consumable.
  • Reduces number of items.
  • Winning characters will have to quaff fewer potions on D:1, immediately before ascending.

Side-effects...
  • Increased power, as this potion is stronger than its constituent parts.
  • Additional inventory slots also increase power.
  • Most characters use Agi for defence and either Mig or Bri for offence, so depending on the generation rate, this gives more uses for individual characters.
  • Chips away at the ID-mini game.
  • Quite complicated for a potion, although probably still simpler than current !Mut.
Last edited by 4Hooves2Appendages on Tuesday, 1st August 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Majang, nago

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 1st August 2017, 11:28

Re: Combine !Agility, !Might and !Brilliance.

Two things it seems you forgot to mention in your side-effects:

1) Buff to Gozag, for pretty obvious reasons.
2) Increased spawn rate of all other potions, based on my understanding of how items are generated in Crawl. So an indirect effect of this change would be a pretty significant increase in potions of haste, heal wounds, and mutation, just to name a few.

I think that the idea could be pretty good, but your reasons are a bit strange. Sure, clutter is bad, but why is having less possible potions to quaff and a better all-around potion more desireable? It seems to remove tactical choice (I.e. What is best in this fight?) in favour of strategic choice (e.g. Should I waste this strong consumable now?). Not sure if that's desireable.

Maybe a better question to ask is: what problem do you see with the 3 stat potions as they exist right now?

For this message the author tankra has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 1st August 2017, 12:10

To me, and I may well be in a tiny minority here, inventory management is the aspect of current Crawl that I dislike the most. I somehow can't make these decisions quickly, which leads to regular standing on stairs, slowly scrolling through my inventory, dropping one item, thinking a bit more, dropping another item, picking up an item, etc.

My favourite solution to this problem, by far, would be separate and unlimited spaces for potions and scrolls, followed by wand stacking. I'm moderately sure that I can cope with the remaining decisions in a reasonably short time.

So, anything that reduces the number of blatantly good items to carry around, like the three above-mentioned potions, goes some way to make Crawl more fun for myself.

Edit:
Dialling back the overall generation rate of potions, in order to keep the generation rate of all current other potions the same, would of course be desirable and completely fine with me.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
Shtopit

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st August 2017, 12:42

It would be a good idea. Freeing two inventory slots on every character is a big QoL improvement. A possible variation would be to eliminate the agility effect entirely so that you'd get just might and brilliance. While there are certainly characters for whom both effects are useful, the effect on any given round of combat will be dominated by just one or the other, while agility+might or agility+brilliance is significantly better than just might or just brilliance even on a round-by-round basis. This mostly gets around the Gozag balance issue in my opinion.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 1st August 2017, 12:43

Just removing agility would also be an improvement in my view.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
Lavandula, Majang

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 04:25

REmoving food would be a good way to free up inventory space. Same with making wands stack.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 08:29

Last time I proposed this, it was explained to me that Brilliance can have a specialized use: allowing to cast spells that you normally couldn't. Maybe it should be made about as frequent as a potion of berserker rage and give a more understandable effect, like "you can cast any memorized spell without failure chance for a limited amount of time with enhanced spellpower".

Might and agility can be made into a single potion. They are useful in similar situations.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 09:26

At the moment brilliance combines a number of effects that already exist elsewhere (wizardry, +Int, spell cast failure reduction is like Vehumet) with a unique effect (the spell power bonus is different from Int, enhancers, etc.)

I'm sure there are ways to make the effect clearer. Allowing casting all spells would lead to some strange situations, requiring memorising and forgetting different spells at different times, so I'm not in favour.

If it was just Wiz + Int + Enhancer, then it would be much clearer and comparable to other things, like rings and staffs.

Brilliance is good for guaranteeing casts of powerful spells in dangerous situations, like Borg, CBlink, etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th August 2017, 18:44

1. Goldify spellbooks
2. Remove spell memorization, cast from spellbooks instead
3. !Brilliance sets all spell failure rates to 0%, no power bonus

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 5th August 2017, 02:22

mrob wrote:3. !Brilliance sets all spell failure rates to 0%, no power bonus

lol potion of firestorm

the most dramatic reduction to inventory clutter for the lowest cost to gameplay would be the removal of all types of damage brands/resistances. this would hardly impact tactics/strategy and would prevent the player from carrying around a million superfluous items that you have to remember to swap before every single fight.

as a bonus you could then remove about a thousand superfluous monsters that every player is expected to have memorized, and minimize the importance of xving every orc that pops on screen

Return to Game Design Discussion