Perhaps one guaranteed item for Wanderes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 05:07

Perhaps one guaranteed item for Wanderes

Even though I have crappy luck with Wanderers (never made one past early Lair), I like them.
Random starting... everything.
But I was thinking that if a Wanderer wandered around and found a spellbook before wandering into the Dungeon, wouldn't it be a simple one?
So I was thinking that maybe instead of starting with a possible random book with possible mismatched skills, we could give our Jack-of-all-trades a permanent piece.

The Book of Cantrips.

Just enough to give anyone rolling a Wanderer a shot to branch out to any magical school, but not giving them anything overpowered.

And still keep the randomized skills when rolling one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 05:45

Re: Perhaps one guaranteed item for Wanderes

Gonna copy-paste this. Wanderer already gets one of: +2 decent weapon (potentially a launcher!), +2 dagger and an OP consumable (fear, blinking, haste, heal wounds, or berserk rage), enchanted armour, book, 2 OP consumables, throwing nets, shield, evocable. The potential holes in this are getting a lackluster book (Spatial Translocations or Battle) or a fan of gales. Even when those happen, you get several other items that can still often result in a great start (launchers, wands of random effects, randbook with freeze, potion of lignification...), and it is functionally impossible for Wn to produce something as bad as Mo.

Also, Cantrips would be an extremely strong starting book. Animate Skeleton and Summon Small Mammal are two of the best early spells in the game.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 06:19

I wasn't knocking the other random equipment that I could roll.
Getting a +1 dagger and matching robe is a nice start.
Maybe a wand? Great. Maybe a potion? Great.
Maybe... maybe...
But I've spun out a few Wn that had a Book of Flames and had a +3 to Ice or Poison to start with.
I'm only thinking about Cantrips cuz it's all Level 1 spells. (Yes... some are awesome).
But after that you are gambling on finding more advanced books to fit your build.
And it would be a boon to have a small spell handy for the Wn who rolls stats suited for a melee role.

These are just my thoughts.
Maybe I shouldn't post after that 4th beer.
:)

{EDIT} Maybe make the Book of Cantrips a 40% chance.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 06:54

I once got a wanderer start with two books that both had 2 random spells, and they each contained exactly the same spells(beastly appendage, spider form). I wonder what the odds of that happening are.
Last edited by Shard1697 on Saturday, 15th July 2017, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 15:07

Wa randbooks are weird. They [tend to/always] have two spells, one lv 1 and one lv 3. I don't see why they can't have lv 2/4/5 spells. Also, because the spells [tend to?] contain one mutual school there is a disproportionate chance of getting meph/ignite pois in any given wa game.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 16th July 2017, 05:06

Shard1697 wrote:I once got a wanderer start with two books that both had 2 random spells, and they each contained exactly the same spells(beastly appendage, spider form). I wonder what the odds of that happening are.

Wait until you get that but no training in Spellcasting, thus no spell slots on level 1.

Return to Game Design Discussion