remove hunger cost for wielding Vampire's Tooth

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 15:12

remove hunger cost for wielding Vampire's Tooth

As we've been reminded lately, Vampire's Tooth is useless. Since it's bad for unrandarts to be useless, I suggest a change: unlike other vampiric weapons, the Vampire's Tooth should not cost hunger to wield, making it freely swappable with other weapons.

This would let characters quickly switch to the dagger for stabbing, letting them use susceptible enemies as free bags of health, and then switch to a real weapon for fighting. I don't know if this would be enough to make the weapon actually useful, but it would at least give it more of a niche.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 15:17

Re: remove hunger cost for wielding Vampire's Tooth

But do we really want players to carry around monsters all around the Dungeon to get their healing? I may be wrong, but I think that's exactly the reason why vamp-swapping costs hunger
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Barkeep

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 15:33

Re: remove hunger cost for wielding Vampire's Tooth

I'd remove the hunger cost for all vamp weapons. I don't see how the hunger cost stops you from dragging monsters for healing all around the dungeon; it mainly makes it really annoying to swap weapons unless you have gourmand or are undead.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Gigaslurp

Return to Game Design Discussion