Take PC XL into account when generating monsters

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 08:13

Take PC XL into account when generating monsters

See subj, I suggest to compare monster HD and PC XL when generating new monsters.
It is hilarious but boring when you clear Orc, then reach XL 21 in other branches and when you are traveling to Elf, you find a pack of gnolls trying to stop you on Orc 2.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 08:26

Re: Take PC XL into account when generating monsters

HD is not indicative of monster strenght, though. All these propositions (and i remember multiple) need a new metric for every monster.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 08:52

You definitely don't want any sort of player XL-based maximum level for monsters: it's spoilerish, prone to breakpoints, and could encourage really weird tactics.

However, there is definitely something to be said for culling popcorn. I'd suggest rather than using HD directly, go with a metric like "don't generate monsters worth less than 1/2000 of the XP required for a human to reach the next XL." That's just an initial stab at a number, but it would cut off gnolls around XL16, which strikes me as a good point where gnolls are no longer threatening. Vault monsters could be exempt, and perhaps there could be a flag for other monsters to still generate if so desired. Bands could generate or not based on their most threatening members (e.g. you'd still get popcorn orcs, but only in the presence of priests/warriors etc, where they are marginally more interesting).

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 09:13

Pop-corn in general is a problem, although I see it in a slightly different way: that you can happily wade among gnolls after having been scared of them is OK to me, what I don't like is that some monsters are never scary, because they never appear early enough to be a danger. These maybe should not even be in the game, or only appear as summons.

I think that more enhancers for enemies or debuffers against the players would make pop corn more interesting, if it always appeared near other, stronger monsters. This is why I think barbs are pretty good. A pack of gnolls with antimagic would represent a problem, if they managed to get close. A monster with the ability to mass polymorph its allies without the HD limit (e.g. turn them into a dragon) would make even gnolls a problem, if you don't kill them fast enough.

Such changes however must be pretty complicated to implement. The 1/2000 to xp level rule sounds good to me, until something more tactically interesting becomes available. It would make the game less tabby and possibly shorter.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 11:20

Shtopit wrote:It would make the game less tabby and possibly shorter.

That depends. Would it mean that stronger monsters are spawned instead of gnolls? Or would it mean that no monsters are spawned instead?
If stronger monsters are spawned, it could lead to experience-balance problems, because there would suddenly be a lot more experience in the game to be collected.
Maɟaŋ

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 11:22

Any monster culling mechanic needs to deal with Boggarts (HD4) properly.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 11:24

The gnolls are a symptom of two things: Backtracking and post-generation spawning. It's perfectly possible to solve these problems.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 13:29

As mentioned above, the issue is really that you are in Orc:2 (as part of travelling somewhere else). This is just a case of seeing popcorn while auto-traveling. I don't think it's much of a deal myself (holding Tab down works).

However, if it is to be fixed, the way to do it would be to not generate stronger monsters, but generate no monsters (if they are deemed to be unthreatening using some measure). This is because you only encountered them because you were auto-traveling through a low-level area.

Of course, one could try to attack the issue of backtracking itself, but it would be more difficult and/or would require deeper changes.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 3
Gigaslurp, VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 9th July 2017, 22:09

When auto-traveling, all these low-level spawns provide welcome snacks for the traveller - popcorn! I'd hate to see that go,
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 10th July 2017, 07:52

Majang wrote:When auto-traveling, all these low-level spawns provide welcome snacks for the traveller - popcorn! I'd hate to see that go,

I am not sure it is worth saving the tedium just for that. For instance my last caster finished a 3 rune game with 44 bread/meat rations and 39 fruits. That's quite a lot of gnolls :)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Majang

Return to Game Design Discussion