make scroll of noise deal multi-turn sonic damage

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th July 2017, 23:57

make scroll of noise deal multi-turn sonic damage

You know how, under very high tension, the Singing Sword does small screenwide damage every turn while making even more noise than usual? My suggestion is beefing that up a bit and handing it to the scroll of noise, so that you make a ton of noise for several turns while dealing an okay amount of damage per turn to everything on-screen during these turns.

Noise was moved from "almost always bad but has a fringe use in removing fear/mesmerize" to "strictly bad", but I don't think strictly bad consumables are very interesting. This seems to be a good way to double down on the bad aspects of noise by having it go on for several turns, while making it a potentially useful desperation move for many cases, especially during the early game where it becomes a "kill everything on screen" button (that runs the risk of attracting more enemies off-screen).

While I'm at it, I'll also re-suggest an old idea on the potion of degeneration, which is another strictly negative consumable: you still get the stat hit, but you get might + brilliance + agility for a good number of turns before it, with the flavor being that the potion is a kind of super-doping with nasty side effects afterwards.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 2
runewalsh, Terrapin

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 13th July 2017, 13:17

Re: make scroll of noise deal multi-turn sonic damage

The scroll of noise isn't strictly bad. It has its tactical applications, like standing on an upstairs and then read it to invite the local population to a round of stair dancing.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 14th July 2017, 14:46

Majang wrote:The scroll of noise isn't strictly bad. It has its tactical applications, like standing on an upstairs and then read it to invite the local population to a round of stair dancing.

Isn't this tactic considered highly degenerate?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th July 2017, 15:02

In a game that rewards controlling the location of fights and noise management, it seems entirely reasonable to use deliberate noise to lure enemies to tactically advantageous territory. In crawl it just so happens that staircases are tactically very powerful.

I usually also do this outside of the Elf:3 vault, because the open space inside is really quite unhealthy. There are other useful spaces too. Of course in many cases taking a few steps and shouting or casting noisy spells accomplishes nearly the same objective.

Return to Game Design Discussion