the magical staves complaint

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 00:43

the magical staves complaint

There are 11 types of magical staff in the game.

8 of these are enhancer staves for a specific spell school. I do not see what advantage is provided by having so many different enhancer staves. You're not going to switch from earth magic to fire magic because you found a staff of fire. I suppose it's imaginable that someone with both staves of air and conjuration would have trouble deciding between Airstrike spell power and IOOD spell power, but since they can just swap the staves in 5 aut anyway, that doesn't lead to any interesting or difficult decisions - it just leads to swapping. Furthermore, as a result of weapons being so fast to swap, lots of characters carry around enhancer staves for a while because they provide resistances. Having 8 different enhancer staves as opposed to just 1 enhancer staff:
- results in more swapping
- results in more inventory clutter
- results in more identification clutter
+ is the status quo, so leaving it as it is is easy

Furthermore, staves of air, cold, death, earth, fire, and poison have extra melee effects. In a game where melee damage is already difficult to understand and weapons are already difficult to compare, enhancer staff melee effects add even more confusion. This is especially present with staff of earth, where I routinely see people claiming it's "the best staff for melee", when it does inferior damage to air, cold, death, or fire due to checking AC. Moderately-spoiled players did seem to be pretty good at understanding that staves of earth were OP back in 0.4 when they were OP, but other than that it is almost impossible to compare enhancer staves to other weapons unless you source dive.

Speaking of melee, if you want to use a missile weapon, or have a melee weapon that's better than your staff for melee (which you almost always do), you're going to be doing even more swapping, because the staff lives in your weapon slot.

Causing even further swapping are the remaining three staves. If you have a staff of power, the proper way to use it is to use the extra MP, then swap to something else, then swap back to regenerate MP faster after the fight. Once you find an appropriate enhancer, you'll want to wield that at full MP since +20 spell power is better than any max MP bonus...but you should still swap to staff of power to regenerate MP faster out of combat, saving aut and therefore piety. Other MP-boosting items have the same problem, of course.
Staff of wizardry needs no explanation.
Staff of energy is only useful as an intensely tedious way to save turns and improve CBoE. It really should not exist. Wucad Mu is basically a better CBoE so whatever.

A common suggestion for magical staves is to move them to the shield slot. This mostly addresses the swapping, since it would take 5 turns (but many characters would still carry staves of cold around in case an ice cave generates; I'll make another post complaining that portal vaults are bad). It is also a substantial nerf to magic staves, which is good. Of course, you would want to call them something other than staves at this point, to avoid confusion with the weapon class. I don't think the game loses anything by removing magic staff melee; a decent lajatang is already better anyway. I like using staff melee as a player, sure, but I can't possibly defend it from a design perspective.

It should be noted that excessive weapon swapping for magic users will happen as long as "stat sticks" of any kind exist. Magic staves are not the only offender in this category; weapons with the protection ego and artefact properties (particularly +Int, +Dex, and resistances) have the same problem. You'll have one weapon you use for melee and one or more weapons you wield while casting spells or waiting for teleports.

I believe any of the following options would be improvements, ordered from least to most impactful:
  • Merge the enhancer staves into a single staff, and make it correspondingly rare (between 1/4th and 1/8th as common as current magical staves, depending on how interchangeable you consider conjuration with the elemental ones and poison). For simplicity, it should just enhance all spell schools. It should not have any melee effects or resistances. Additionally, remove staves of wizardry (there are already rings) and energy. This solves staff melee, reduces swapping, and reduces identification and inventory clutter a bit.
  • Remove magical staves as weapons, but offer the ones you like as scarf or robe egos. A scarf or robe of wizardry/Archmagi/+MP does not suffer from any particular design problems, aside from wizardry and Archmagi possibly being overpowered, but they are far more overpowered if you can get them in the weapon slot, so yeah. (I am aware that robes of wizardry used to be in the game and were removed.) This solves staff melee, reduces swapping, and slightly improves balance.
  • Move magical staves to the shield slot. This solves staff melee, helps with swapping, and improves balance more (by giving magic staff users less SH). However, it means that in order to use a magic staff you have to cripple your melee/missile ability since it would stop you from wielding two-handers. Since melee on conjurers is something they do for convenience rather than actual power, this part of it is annoying and not good imo.
  • Remove magical staves with no compensation. This solves staff melee, helps with swapping, mostly improves balance, reduces inventory and identification clutter by more than the previous options, and is a pretty simple change. I say it "mostly" improves balance because it screws up late-game elemental school balance due to the existence of rings of fire and ice, but you can remove those as well.
  • Remove magical staves with no compensation; eliminate all artifact properties from weapons except for *Noise, *Contam, *Drain, Curse, and Fragile; and remove riposte, Wucad Mu, and Majin-Bo. I am sure this option will be met with nothing but hostility, but I mention it because it is the minimum you need to do in order to solve the problem of stat sticks, and I do think it would be a good change.

And regardless of what happens to staves: If +MP continues to exist on items, it should only apply once you reach full MP, like the amulet of magic regeneration does, and unwielding/unwearing it should deduct the bonus from your current MP as well as your maximum MP. Maybe don't allow removing it if your current MP is below that level, either.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
Airwolf, luckless, Shard1697, VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 01:43

Re: the magical staves complaint

duvessa wrote:Move magical staves to the shield slot. This solves staff melee, helps with swapping, and improves balance more (by giving magic staff users less SH). However, it means that in order to use a magic staff you have to cripple your melee/missile ability since it would stop you from wielding two-handers. Since melee on conjurers is something they do for convenience rather than actual power, this part of it is annoying and not good imo.

Currently, if a conjurer is in full spells only mode, they are going to be using a shield anyway, with staff or resistance stick in the weapon slot. Forcing them to choose between shield and staff is good IMO, as is making staves strong enough that the right one is usually going to be chosen over a shield or buckler.

Also, you left out one more possibility: Combine effects and reduce the number of staves, but not all the way to one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 01:49

Rast wrote:Currently, if a conjurer is in full spells only mode, they are going to be using a shield anyway
I am not convinced this is true until very late in the game - an egoless buckler is basically placebo and ego ones aren't especially common, and it is certainly not worth going for a bigger shield in most cases.
Rast wrote:Forcing them to choose between shield and staff is good IMO, as is making staves strong enough that the right one is usually going to be chosen over a shield or buckler.
I would already rather use an enhancer staff than a shield on almost every character that casts enhanceable spells. Enhancers are really good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 02:12

I had a thought previously, I wonder how it'd go to merge brands and enhancer egos and remove the staves as a weapon type.

So the "fire" brand would be merged with the effects of a staff of fire, you'd get a weapon of whatever type it was.

It wouldn't solve the swapping problem, but it would reduce the amount of clutter from item types and brands.

I'm not sure it's a particularly good idea, but it's an idea.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 02:21

Here's my suggestion. It would be a power boost for mages, but what the hell, we can always nerf it again later.

* Magic staves become an offhand item, with buckler-speed swapping.
* They give no SH and don't interact with Shields skill.
* All staves give a base +5 MP and +3 Int in addition to their main effect.
* But no resistance bonus and no melee effect
* Remove staves of conjurations, power, and energy.
* Staff of wizardry gains the hungerless casting from staff of energy.
* The other seven staves remain as spell-school enhancers
* I've ignored the various fixedart staves, someone else can bikeshed any changes to those.
* But it would be cool to have a fixedart "staff of the witch" that is an enhancer to hexes, charms,transmutations, and translocations.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 05:24

If the devs take away the ability to melee with staves, I'll be upset.
If it's made rare to find, that would be unpleasant.
A buckler can block large rocks, which is all you ever really need a buckler to achieve.

So the complaint is that there are 2 or 3 useful staves that you don't want to swap around, and it's nice to wield an elemental enhancer staff.

I think it would be interesting to move the abilities off the staves of power, energy, and wizardry and into the Evocation as a skill level dependent ability.

I think Casters just need a reason to stick to enhancer staves, rather than changing them dramatically.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 07:33

I like the idea of an off-hand "orb". What I don't get is: if weapon swapping is the problem, why isn't it for normal weapons?

Observation: you could address some of the same design space with unequip maluses.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 09:41

Re: Shields
What does a staff user use in their mainhand? The artifact with the most absurd +int bonus? At least artifact bucklers are rare, there are large amounts of trash 1h weapon artifacts with good mods. These aren't IDed presently if you have a relevant magical staff, but moving the staff to the offhand promotes this ID game.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 12:19

If magic staves get transferred to the shield slot (an idea that I like), something needs to be done about the two remaining staves weapons, quarterstaff and lajatang. Both of them are two-handed, which means that having an enhancer precludes the use of a staves weapon. Either a one-hand staff needs to be (re-)introduced, or one of the two remaining weapons needs to become one-handed. It would not do to force DE to run around with short blades for the rest of their history...
Maɟaŋ

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 13:01

Uhm, why can't a DE run around with lajatang, one of the best weapons in the game?

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 14:33

but that thing where you're hoping for a staff of fire or conjuration and you find an unidentified staff and pick it up and it turns out to be a cursed staff of air, you'd miss out on that

Proposal 1 sounds very good to me. Having staves be offhand items also makes sense, though agreed that it's not particularly important.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Airwolf

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 14:56

sanka wrote:Uhm, why can't a DE run around with lajatang, one of the best weapons in the game?

They can.

Just not with a shield or other offhand item.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Majang

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 16:50

This is basically a rehashing of duvessa's "least impactful" option. Magical staves could consist of:

Staff of destruction -> enhances the spells "supported by Vehumet", namely the conjurations plus a few other direct damage spells. No resistances, special melee can either not exist or be random.
Staff of power -> current staff of power + hungerless casting from energy.
Staff of wizardry -> exist or not, doesn't matter.

All other magical staves removed. Necromancy and summonings don't need enhancers and they just encourage swapping. Channeling is annoying, but getting to ignore spell hunger sometimes is fun.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 16:54

Why should there be a hungerless casting staff? Its sole practical use is to make it so spriggans can kite with conjurations even more easily. If casting hunger is supposed to be important*, it's silly that there's an item to suddenly make it not a thing.

* Let's just assume for a moment that it is, okay?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
duvessa, VeryAngryFelid

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 17:09

Because casting hunger is mostly not important and the actual solution is not going to happen anytime soon? And while items that turn off features (...) are unfashionable they can offer some between-run differentiation within a playstyle.

Or give it gourmand because fat = power. Very flavorful.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th June 2017, 23:18

I'm in favor of merging the enhancer staves together, but I think it should be into two staves, not one.

Make an enhancer staff which enhances all schools, no resists, as per the above proposal.
Make a 1 handed "attack" staff, call it "empowered staff" or something similiar, and let it deal elemental damage based on your highest spell schools. Hell, if you really want to get fancy, you could have it deal multiple types of elemental damage based on your highest 1/2/3 schools. And make it strong enough to actually be worth considering using, although it'd only be tempting for characters who already have a lot of elemental magic training, of course.

I realize such a weapon is complicated and people who are looking to reduce complexity in crawl will probably hate it, but I still like the concept of enhancer staff melee, even if it is fairly weak. Making it attack with more than one element would be a significant buff though, and make it quite deadly on the right character.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 21st June 2017, 04:16

If you want to remove it, then remove it. If you want to make it better, then you have to completely rework it.

I would design it as thus:
Remove all existing magical staves as separate items.
Replace the function of existing brands from other weapon types and combine the functions of both together; what we'd be doing is taking existing brands and tying them to a scaling skill based mechanic like magic staves or pain brands.
    Antimagic=Evocations
    Chaos=XL
    Distortion=Translocations
    Draining=Invocations
    Electrocution=Air Magic
    Flaming=Fire Magic
    Freezing=Ice Magic
    Holy Wrath=Invocations
    Venom=Poison Magic
    Vorpal=Earth Magic

And for the Skills that don't have brands to associate with:
    Conjurations=Disintegration; would deal damage without checking resist or AC, but be scaled slighty weaker than other brands, while always producing chunks when killing enemies.
    Charms=Slaying; literally just an extra skill based modifier added to the existing slaying on your character, resulting in very accurate but not as strong as other brands attacks
    Hexes=Enervation; would progressively weaken enemies by inflicting randomized debuffs, against magic immune enemies the first debuff applied would always be MR-, the list of what others could be included would shift depending on skill, with more powerful debuffs requiring high skill investment, such as ones that would create stabbing opportunities.
    Summoning=Charisma; would add a song of slaying type bonus to your summons called "Leadership" when you fight with them and they are in your LOS.
Every Brand would be tied to both skill/XL and enchantment value, and players would therefor be disincentivised from enthusiastically swapping a golfbag full of weapons on the fly rather than committing to strategic long term gameplay decisions.

Magic rings would exist for every spellschool and would not effect the existing spawn rates for other rings but be added to them. The Magic Rings would increase your branded weapon damage as well as spellpower.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st June 2017, 14:01

I'm in favor of the move to offhand; it adds a more interesting decision to the game
Usage-wise, I think a general enhancer buff plus a resistance for the highest spell school you have would be pretty cool. Or, an inverse Qaz effect- a chance to give a defensive buff corresponding to the last spell you cast.
No branding effects on non randarts; that's already a facet of enough other weapons.
I'd have them give you MINUS MP. You need to pour your magic into them, in exchange for a free wizardry effect.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
luckless

Return to Game Design Discussion