Strangeness with monsters following through stairs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th June 2017, 06:07

Strangeness with monsters following through stairs

if monsters are not next to you when you start climbing stairs, even if they reach you before you finish climbing stairs, they cannot follow you.

unless I am severely confused this happens even if you are currently getting petrified, start climbing stairs, become fully petrified while climbing-then a bunch of monsters can walk right up next to you and hit you while you are stone, but once you unpetrify and finish climbing the stairs they do not get to follow you, because they were not next to you when you started, even though they spent a long time just standing next to you and the stairs while you couldn't move. I assume a similar thing can happen with paralysis.

it's all pretty strange and I would be in favor of letting monsters follow you through stairs if they can get next to you at any point of the climbing, both to get rid of this weirdness and also as a nerf to stair use/way to make the turns required to climb stairs more meaningful.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th June 2017, 06:14

Re: Strangeness with monsters following through stairs

Sorry about slight off topic but current stairdancing system is also bad because it allows you to avoid any monster whose attack takes more than 1.0 turn as long as you are spoiled player. An Ogre with GSC is a typical example: it hits you, then you always move twice in a row and now you can retreat upstairs.
I suggest to require 2 tiles (instead of current 1 tile) between you and monsters before they cannot follow you upstairs.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
mkraemer, Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th June 2017, 06:21

Wouldn't monsters being able to follow you up stairs if they can get next to you during any point of the climb time also fix this? IIRC with a GSC ogres attack at either 1.4 or 1.5 aut, while climbing takes 1.5 aut.
So right now, if ogre swings, you step to stairs, ogre is still recovering for 0.4 or 0.5 turns and you can start climbing before he gets next to you and escape.
But if he can follow if he gets next to you at any time, he will finish recovering from his attack before you finish climbing and he will be able to follow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th June 2017, 06:22

Good point, let me thank OP then :)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Shard1697

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd June 2017, 23:55

I suggest that you can't use stairs if a hostile monster is in LOS.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Game Design Discussion