replace riposte with chance to ignore ac

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 12th June 2017, 18:39

replace riposte with chance to ignore ac

riposte blows. id say remove it and replace it with chance on succesful strike to bypass opponents ac. scales with long blades and maybe dex

what you think?
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 12th June 2017, 19:04

Re: replace riposte with chance to ignore ac

It would be easier to answer knowing how AC actually works. What I understood from the Wiki was that the game throws a die with as many faces as your AC and then detracts as much damage as the roll. From learndb it's 1d(AC+1)-1. Assuming that monster AC works as player AC. So you would have an increasing chance of the opponent rolling a 0? I see choosing the right chance as difficult. Max at 1/15?

Also, I think that riposte should go with staves instead, to add some value to elemental staves.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th June 2017, 23:54

Ignoring AC isn't a terrible bonus, but it's kind of swingy. It's just adding more damage to an attack, so taking away base damage from swords, to add an ability which is only some + damage, is not too interesting of a change. It does increase variance somewhat, but I'm not terribly fond of increasing variance so I'd consider that a negative. It's humorous that ignoring AC has been suggested for maces in the past, and has now switched weapon types. If anything, it should be an effect of/would be useful on short blades.

And yes I think monster AC works the same as player AC (minus GMDR), it just rolls 0 to AC-1, and subtracts that from the damage.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 13th June 2017, 00:09

I would prefer the already suggested change of merging long and short blades into 'blades' and giving them all stab bonus(and then removing some so there isn't a huge amount of weapons in one class).

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 3
mkraemer, Rast, yesno

Return to Game Design Discussion