Display chance to be noticed by a monster

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th June 2017, 08:17

Display chance to be noticed by a monster

Currently players make decisions like "I will try to stab that Ancient Lich, there are just 3 tiles between us and it is sleeping" without having very important information "what chance do I have to be noticed during my every action by that specific monster" while in reality it can require extreme luck and it could be better to cast Mana Vipers or Iron Shot etc.
Some factors like HD/intelligence/undead/sleepiness require spoilers to realize how they change the odds.

Please add "You have N% chance to be noticed by it" to monster description. Of course it should take into account sleeping/wondering status.

Inspired by current game where I have Stealth 2.9 and killed a Centaur zombie with spells during 4 turns while having wondering Blorke the Orc in view all this time. Was I just extremely lucky? Or can I continue to ignore the monster for a while?
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 11
Chicken, duvessa, mkraemer, nago, pedritolo, Rast, sdynet, Sprucery, ThreeInvisibleDucks, yesno and one more user

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 12th June 2017, 21:22

Re: Display chance to be noticed by a monster

Hear, hear!

by the way, something I was wondering about stealth is that it seems possible to end up with a monster "too close for your liking" during autoexplore that you should have seen sooner. Does stealth actually have the harmful downside that it lets you blunder close to a monster before you stop, so that you get screwed trying to run away?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 12th June 2017, 23:43

Chicken wrote:Hear, hear!

by the way, something I was wondering about stealth is that it seems possible to end up with a monster "too close for your liking" during autoexplore that you should have seen sooner. Does stealth actually have the harmful downside that it lets you blunder close to a monster before you stop, so that you get screwed trying to run away?

I think you're imagining it... Autoexplore stops when you see a monster, regardless of stealth.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th June 2017, 01:20

There are a few circumstances where autoexplore continues even with monsters in view, specifically when there are translucent walls, deep water, lava, or firewood around. I recently had autoexplore continue with around 20 killer bees in LOS because they were behind a plant.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 13th June 2017, 01:26

I guess that's true, but I don't think there are any circumstances where stealth/their awareness status has anything to do with it.

Return to Game Design Discussion