Make +Flying grant immunity to shafts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th June 2017, 09:16

Make +Flying grant immunity to shafts

Name says it all, though to be honest there's not too much of a reason for this to happen, beyond flavour, however it does seem quite logical. Having bats fall through shafts always just seemed laughable to me, and it can lead to some wasted tactical opportunities.

Admittedly, it *could* lead to some ridiculous tedium for those that are willing to take every measure possible to avoid being shafted, and if such a concern is in place, why not just extend it to monsters? It would add some small amount of tactical depth when fighting flying enemies -- but it would be odd to have this immunity only extended to enemies.

Thoughts?
My lack of individuality frightens me.

For this message the author LoopyLeo has received thanks:
Chicken

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 8th June 2017, 19:23

Re: Make +Flying grant immunity to shafts

reflavor shafts as hungry zot mouths that are pulling you deeper into the dungeon

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, Majang

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 8th June 2017, 20:53

Actually, can't we reflavor them as hidden transporters now?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 9th June 2017, 16:31

This introduces tedious behavior in that I have to toggle flying on and off based on whether the level has water/lava or not. Obviously leaving flying on and never getting shafted isn't an option since it'd eliminate some of the most tense, fun moments the game has to offer.

Return to Game Design Discussion