Confirm wait when at full HP/MP/status

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 8th June 2017, 00:02

Confirm wait when at full HP/MP/status

You hit "5" to wait out a lot of things in the game. The problem is, you have to do it SO much, to get back HP, MP, wait for status effects ... and yet, it's a really long waste of moves, food etc. if you happen to hit it when you're at full for everything. This aggravates me and I don't even try for tournament speed freak trophies. Yeah, I know that going through and checking for HP, MP, and *any* expirable bad status whatsoever before nagging the user with a Wait with full health and magic (Y/N)? would be a pain to code, but ... it'd be appreciated...

For this message the author Chicken has received thanks: 12
all before, duvessa, johlstei, nago, runewalsh, Sprucery, ThreeInvisibleDucks, Turukano, VeryAngryFelid, yesno and 2 more users

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th June 2017, 17:03

Re: Confirm wait when at full HP/MP/status

If it's intentional, '55' would be less of a pain than '5Y'.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th June 2017, 18:37

mattlistener wrote:If it's intentional, '55' would be less of a pain than '5Y'.

I don't do this intentionally often enough to worry about that... Most often I rest while at full HP/MP in only one of two situations: 1) I finished a fight and hit 5 out of reflex, forgetting I took no damage, or 2) I want to wait for a monster to approach and am too lazy to pay attention while '.'ing or to use command for repeat n times. '5y' has interface consistency also since other confirm requests require 'y' or 'Y' (I don't think this one warrants a 'Y').

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 11th June 2017, 09:54

I had the same issue with needlessly waiting a bunch of turns because hammering '5' out of reflex. Some time ago I created a custom rest function in my crawlrc to solve this issue:

Code:
{
function hp_percent() a,b=you.hp() return 100*a/b end
function mp_percent() a,b=you.mp() return 100*a/b end

function custom_rest()
  if hp_percent() == 100 and mp_percent() == 100 then
    if crawl.yesnoquit("Wait 100 turns?", true, 'n') == 1 then
      crawl.process_keys("5")
    end
  else
    crawl.process_keys("5")
  end
end
}

macros += M 5 ===custom_rest

Not saying that this shouldn't be the default behavior of the game. But it is something you can use right now (you would probably want extend the hp/mp condition with some additional status queries).

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th June 2017, 11:36

We have 3 different wait buttons (., s, 5). We could have one be "wait until fully rested", one "wait 1 turn", one "wait (this many) turns".
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 11th June 2017, 12:30

You can already configure 5 to rest until fully healed (see rest_wait_both and rest_wait_percent). To wait for a specific number of turns you can just use "0N." (N being the number of turns you want to wait).

As far as I know the only reason both '.' and 's' are kept around is for legacy reasons (from the time where search and wait were separate commands).

Return to Game Design Discussion