net trap ossuary

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 14:25

net trap ossuary

every time I do this ossuary and am trying to win, it is a case of "step on net trap, say 'yes i want to step on it', repeat until it fires, pick up net" for every single net trap in the floor because they are a fairly useful consumable so of course I want to get them all.

please remove

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 5
bel, duvessa, LoopyLeo, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 18:15

Re: net trap ossuary

Why not just have some command like ^T to deliberately set off the trap? I mean, there's no <em>logical</em> reason why your character shouldn't be able to do it, and net traps are serious enough risks (and rewards) that taking them out is a loss.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 18:43

how about just remove mechanical traps already

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 18:44

Chicken wrote:Why not just have some command like ^T to deliberately set off the trap? I mean, there's no <em>logical</em> reason why your character shouldn't be able to do it, and net traps are serious enough risks (and rewards) that taking them out is a loss.

Because "traps" which give you valuable consumables after setting them off shouldn't be in the game in the first place. Once you kill the mummies here the net traps are not a threat, and you're free to walk around getting nets. They're essentially just nets on the ground except you have to press way more buttons to pick them up and they fuck with autoexplore.

It's a strong example of tedious but optimal behavior(which creates no gameplay depth) which has mostly been removed from crawl except in specific situations like this vault. I certainly wouldn't fix it by introducing another command which serves no other function to a game which already has many many many different commands.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 19:25

Yeah, replace net traps with a net on the floor.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
Factorialite

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 01:05

Chicken wrote:Why not just have some command like ^T to deliberately set off the trap?

There actually used to be a "disarm trap" command when there were dart and arrow and needle and bolt traps everywhere, and you could get the ammo from them.

I don't get why net traps exist at all, webs are basically identical except you don't get a powerful consumable from them.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion