?/I lookups

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 16:03

?/I lookups

It seems like the lookups for ?/I are missing some items. I mean, if I look up ? / I for running or flying they have nothing, and if I have a character who doesn't have boots of flying I start wondering if they were removed or if they just didn't drop. Is there a rule on what you should or shouldn't be able to look up?

For this message the author Chicken has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, amaril

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 18:25

Re: ?/I lookups

The ?/ function is nifty, but flawed right now. It is inherently spoilery, in the sense that you can't use it unless you know what you are looking for. Plus there's a ton of absurd names in crawl: getting attacked by a summoned invisible monster? Good luck looking up Leuryocrypa. The solution to this problem is a) a working search function (so ?/m "invisible" shows you a list of enemies) and/or b) having a branching, browsable menu of things, such as (I believe) Wesnoth has. Obviously implementing this would take a lot of work.

Also you should be able to search for unrands and unique monsters.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 20:41

amaril wrote:The ?/ function is nifty, but flawed right now. It is inherently spoilery, in the sense that you can't use it unless you know what you are looking for. Plus there's a ton of absurd names in crawl: getting attacked by a summoned invisible monster? Good luck looking up Leuryocrypa. The solution to this problem is a) a working search function (so ?/m "invisible" shows you a list of enemies) and/or b) having a branching, browsable menu of things, such as (I believe) Wesnoth has. Obviously implementing this would take a lot of work.

I would just like to point out that if the devs did include an 'encyclopedia' like Wesnoth, I would love them forever.
My lack of individuality frightens me.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 30th May 2017, 21:34

amaril wrote:The ?/ function is nifty, but flawed right now. It is inherently spoilery, in the sense that you can't use it unless you know what you are looking for. Plus there's a ton of absurd names in crawl: getting attacked by a summoned invisible monster? Good luck looking up Leuryocrypa. The solution to this problem is a) a working search function (so ?/m "invisible" shows you a list of enemies) and/or b) having a branching, browsable menu of things, such as (I believe) Wesnoth has. Obviously implementing this would take a lot of work.

These would be great, but also '?/' should give info similar to cheibriados monster db queries, and also be accessible by pressing '/' or something during xv.

Return to Game Design Discussion