Highlight dragon armour

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 21:21

Highlight dragon armour

Currently, dragon armour that falls into a big heap cannot be told apart: e.g.: !%))?[[[[

I think it would be good if dragon armour got a special colour like artifacts: for example, cyan. It was used for cure mutation and good mutation, now i believe the rare potion of XP is the last to use it.

Rare "superweapons" (eveningstars, double swords, demon weapons, eudemon weapons, quickblades, and maybe bardiches, triple swords and exe axes) could also be always highlighted. Crystal plate probably also belongs to the category.

The colour would override enchantment level, brand and curse, like with artifacts. Text would describe the item as runed or whatever, if needed.

EDIT: The reason for this proposal is that it's relatively easy to miss out on such items, if they fall into a bunch of other stuff and you don't think of search @ before leaving the level; even then, since they have no special highlight, they can be missed easily. Having the rarest, best items clearly visible would make checking out piles faster, and cause less anxiety when leaving portals. There's also a more fluff reason of giving a visual impact to important item.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th May 2017, 22:51

Re: Highlight dragon armour

Shtopit wrote:EDIT: The reason for this proposal is that it's relatively easy to miss out on such items, if they fall into a bunch of other stuff and you don't think of search @ before leaving the level; even then, since they have no special highlight, they can be missed easily. Having the rarest, best items clearly visible would make checking out piles faster, and cause less anxiety when leaving portals. There's also a more fluff reason of giving a visual impact to important item.
But dragon armor isn't the best. It's rarely worth using, and I don't think newer players should be led into believing that it's really important and powerful when usually that +3 chain or whatever you found earlier would be better, especially since that way you can more freely spend EA early on when it matters more instead of saving it after enchanting aux armor hoping for a dragon armor.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 00:00

Most dragon armours already get unusual colours for armour.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 00:24

duvessa wrote:Most dragon armours already get unusual colours for armour.

They don't when displaying "Items here:" I only see normal, race/mutation restricted, runed, and artifact. This also goes for potions, mutation potions e.g. don't show up as purple in this case, and god restricted items don't show up as red. This is the kind of situation in which good stuff without auto pick up gets overlooked.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 27th May 2017, 04:05

Shtopit wrote:
duvessa wrote:Most dragon armours already get unusual colours for armour.

They don't when displaying "Items here:" I only see normal, race/mutation restricted, runed, and artifact. This also goes for potions, mutation potions e.g. don't show up as purple in this case, and god restricted items don't show up as red. This is the kind of situation in which good stuff without auto pick up gets overlooked.

Is there any reason they couldn't all just have their normal "floor" colors? It would be helpful in identifying a lot of useful-but-not-extraordinary items early on - e.g. like someone trying to upgrade a starting weapon, or a Be trying to find heavier armor, etc.

Perhaps for potions and scrolls, they could display their "inventory" color once identified, so mutation would show up as purple, etc. Honestly it would make sense for potions/scrolls on the floor to do the same.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 3
Airwolf, duvessa, nago

Return to Game Design Discussion