FR: Always highlight the rune tile in webtiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th May 2017, 12:52

FR: Always highlight the rune tile in webtiles

I've just had a situation where I had to autoexplore V:5 because the rune was hidden under a random +0 short sword and it got me thinking: is it important to hide the rune beneath a stack of items, especially bad ones? Note that in this particular example the short sword was a floor generated item (unless a monster switched weapons or something), nothing was killed on top of the rune.

I think you guys like this argument, so let me present it: it's spoilery to hide the rune under items because good players already have an idea where to look for it* and less experienced players will have to autoexplore aimlessly instead of possibly grabbing the rune and running away. I think the latter is more exciting in terms of gameplay than hacking through absolutely everything on the rune level, so highlighting the rune tile (you know, that green square showing there's something good here) regardless of what other items are lying there would be a nice feature to add.

*which apparently means that I'm not a good player, but let's ignore this tiny detail shall we

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks: 5
Doesnt, duvessa, Implojin, nago, Vajrapani

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 19th May 2017, 18:34

Re: FR: Always highlight the rune tile in webtiles

I'd prefer a <more> prompt when the rune comes into view, but I'm not opposed to highlighting either.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th May 2017, 18:48

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I'd prefer a <more> prompt when the rune comes into view, but I'm not opposed to highlighting either.

Stone Soup really doesn't need more default <more> prompts. You can already add one manually, if you would prefer this behavior, by adding this to your rcfile:
  Code:
force_more_message += rune of Zot

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th May 2017, 18:54

Implojin wrote:
4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I'd prefer a <more> prompt when the rune comes into view, but I'm not opposed to highlighting either.

Stone Soup really doesn't need more default <more> prompts. You can already add one manually, if you would prefer this behavior, by adding this to your rcfile:
  Code:
force_more_message += rune of Zot

Maybe it's not that big a deal if it's a prompt that appears max. 15 times per game? I'm saying that because it would indeed be more noob-friendly and new players usually don't edit the rcfile. Maybe it should go the other way and allow you to remove the prompt in the rcfile?
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks:
PlatinumSpider

Return to Game Design Discussion