Merge skin of Zhor and salamander hide

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 29th April 2017, 14:09

Merge skin of Zhor and salamander hide

In the same vein as flaming death and freezing death, since these were/are the most boring artifacts.

Something like +4 leather armor (rF++, rC++, you have a chance to passively (flash?) freeze/stickyflame whatever hits you in melee) could be alright.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Gigaslurp, luckless, nago, Speleothing

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th April 2017, 17:06

Re: Merge skin of Zhor and salamander hide

Love the idea, not sure if the resistances are the way to go (too much like the leather equivalent of GDA).

how about: +1 leather, +Rage, fire/ice enhancer, immunity to flaming & freezing clouds.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th April 2017, 19:06

Both those items are super boring because they are so rarely worth using. Because the amount of AC provided is really low compared to a randart or a player-enchanted armour or even a decent blue chain/plate from floorgod.

Combining them doesn't change that, it just reduces the number of bad fixedarts by one.

Is it OK to have bad fixedarts in the game?

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th April 2017, 20:47

I would use that combined thing on many spellcasters. Of course, since it would be extremely rare to find, the AC bonus could be higher.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 29th April 2017, 22:01

I've used both before and think they are fine, if a bit boring. Useful for low STR casters and/or Ru characters that sacced Durability anyways.

I had an old suggestion to make the Salamander Hide a normal armour type instead of an unrand (since Salamanders are a real semi-common enemy now); increase the variety of low STR/Ozo's Capability armours in that way. IDK I'd still say that's a decent possibility.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Return to Game Design Discussion