New monster: kobolds with blowguns -> kobold assassins

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 15:03

New monster: kobolds with blowguns -> kobold assassins

Why: because it's frustrating when a random, usually exceptionally weak outside D:1 kobold either heavily contributes to your death or outright kills you on its own with curare or even poisoned needles.

Pros:
+ Clarity
+ Player no longer HAS to know that kobolds have a slight chance of being 300-500% more dangerous than usually
+ The information about the above is immediately available to the player upon sighting, no need for Ctrl+X (console) or careful inspecting of the tile (webtiles).
+ Blowgun kobolds are already treated as separate monsters by more experienced players

Cons:
- May require changing some vaults as well
- Players not familiar with the danger level of blowgun kobolds may feel this change is making the game harder
- Standard kobolds lose A LOT of their threat level
- Basically a much less threatening Sonja, so maybe not interesting enough?

Implementation:
- Kobold assassins are an OOD spawn in early dungeon and more common though still somewhat rare around mid game.
- Kobold assassins will always have a blowgun, 5-8 poisoned needles OR 2-5 curare needles (much lower chance) and a short blade - short sword, dagger or (rarer) a rapier. Brands are possible but rare as well. No body armour, rarely a cloak (for flavour purposes, not necessary), but can use whatever they find.
- Kobold assassins will behave in battle as current kobolds with blowguns do to not make them too obnoxious.
- Big kobold packs will feature 0-2 kobold assassins.
- That one sewer with a water in the middle, a shallow water path between both sides, a door in each corner and a lot of river rats will have a possibility of spawning 1 kobold assassin behind each door.
- Proposed stats: MR 10, HD 4, AC/EV 2/14, HP 125 (12.5 on average), attack: {AT HIT, AF PLAIN, 6}, spawn in D: 3, 13, 150, PEAK; rest like a normal kobold

Intended result:
A monster you'll likely see about once per game unless you find a big kobold pack or an appropriate vault. If alone, most commonly found just before Lair. Low MR and HP and quite high EV (hopefully) encourages the usage of certain wands and sure hit spells like Poisonous Vapors instead of tabbing. Can appear as early as D:3 but is very uncommon there. May make big kobold packs at least a bit exciting. Depending on how curare rarity is set, might become the floating eye of pre-Lair Dungeon for chars with no rPois.

Spoiler: show
I'd code it and provide a patch myself but I'm too lazy to even compile the code in Visual Studio, let alone code and test stuff, sorry.

Another thing I considered was a kobold artificer, but that's probably an overkill and would take current Ijyb's niche.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks:
johlstei

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 16:08

Re: New monster: kobolds with blowguns -> kobold assassins

Leszczynek wrote:Implementation:

Would it not be easier to just rename kobolds when they generated with a blowgun?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 16:47

from a coding perspective, no, because making mon-gear.cc change monster types would be an ugly hack. you'd adjust the spawn table so they have 1/10th the frequency of vanilla kobolds and adjust kobolds appropriately.

(kobolds currently have a 1/10 chance to get a blowgun instead of a weapon roll, unless it is D:1)

the odds of a blowgun-having kobold getting curare instead of poison are bizarrely complicated: for floors between 2 and 27, it is a 1 in (364 - 7*floor)/25 chance, which is 1/13 on d:3-5 and 1/14 on d:2.

in my experience blowgun kobolds are much less lethal than the op is making them sound, but this nonetheless is a neat idea.

For this message the author Doesnt has received thanks:
bcadren

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 18:11

I'd kinda agree with the post. Marking Blowgun kobolds more obviously would be pretty great. That said...This is basically Sonja, and you know that, but it's cool.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 19:06

Actually i think generalizing an equipment-based (or spell list) "job" slot for monster names would be great, it would require a bunch of work though.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 18th April 2017, 19:08

I don't know if I agree with the specifics of your proposal, but I do wager that not having a distinct name makes blowgun kobolds significantly more dangerous. I'm all for a change that keeps them just as common but gives them a distinct monster species. Really it ought to be purely cosmetic.

I wouldn't protest if you called them Blowbolds.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 14:41

I love this idea for the fact that it both makes the game more interesting and more playable. It surfaces information about the game which is hidden behind Ctrl-X for console players.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 17:22

getting killed by kobolds with concealed blowguns builds character

Return to Game Design Discussion