Eveningstars and double swords

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 16:24

Re: Eveningstars and double swords

Since demon whips are powerful already, how would you make them better without making them OP? Nerf demonic weapons?
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 17:23

Demonic weapons anger the good gods, so sometimes the other weapons are better choices. Maybe adding some more drawbacks to the demon weapons would be a good idea.

What if demonic weapons did no damage to demons, or reduced damage? Then they'd still be worth carrying around for much of the game, but you'd prize the double sword more when you got to pandemonium and the hells.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 17:43

eudemon weapons vs demon weapons
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 18:53

Actually, I was recently comparing eveningstars to demon whips using the weapon comparison spreadsheet, as I had to choose between them, and was surprised to find how close they were in damage output, with eveningstars actually being better against some late game, high-AC monsters. And this was before the nerf of demon whips in 0.9.

This didn't take into account things like rings of slaying or elec/pain brands, which will have a stronger effect on faster weapons, and also assumed that I had enough skill to get the minimum delay with the eveningstar, which is higher than you would need to get the minimum with the demon whip.

However, if it needs to be fixed, the way to do it would probably be to make stats matter more, so heavy weapons like eveningstars are better for high-str characters, while whips are better with high dex.

Return to Game Design Discussion