Item (unrandart) proposal: Lash of the Scorpion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 14:14

Lash of the Scorpion (+10 spear, pierce edited to venom)
Evoke: "Shoot" the spear at an enemy in LOS. If you hit, bring the enemy to the nearest adjacent tile and apply a short stun. (If you miss, the spear is returned to your inventory.)

Not sure if this is possible in the current code (I have no idea how to code! would this be a cool first thing to try?), but thought it'd be a cool idea.
Last edited by Factorialite on Friday, 24th February 2017, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 15:08

Re: Item (unrandart) proposal: Lash of the Scorpion

Factorialite wrote:Item (unrandart) proposal: Lash of the Scorpion

Lash of the Scorpion (+10 spear, pierce)
Evoke: "Shoot" the spear at an enemy in LOS. If you hit, bring the enemy to the nearest adjacent tile and apply a short stun. (If you miss, the spear is returned to your inventory.)

Not sure if this is possible in the current code (I have no idea how to code! would this be a cool first thing to try?), but thought it'd be a cool idea.

Have you looked into the spell Lesser Beckoning?

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks:
Factorialite

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 16:47

Floodkiller wrote:
Factorialite wrote:Item (unrandart) proposal: Lash of the Scorpion

Lash of the Scorpion (+10 spear, pierce)

Have you looked into the spell Lesser Beckoning?

It's the inspiration for the weapon. I guess you could evoke for on-hit irresistable cast of Lesser Beckoning, but that's sort of the driving force behind the idea. Other unrandarts have versions of spells attached to them.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 16:47

Loosely related question: has anyone considered some unrandart throwing weapons? Any clear reasons why this would be a good or bad idea?

(I think it'd be a good idea, and specifically like the idea of a javelin that pulled targets to you. But there are tons of other options. For example, perhaps stones of tremors could get a new lease on life in the form of an unrandart large rock that caused earthquakes on impact.)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 19:33

If it's "of the scorpion" then the brand should be venom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 20:12

johlstei wrote:If it's "of the scorpion" then the brand should be venom.

I'm assuming the item was meant to refer to the Mortal Kombat character (who has a move where he shoots out a spear and pulls his enemy towards him if it hits), I would still agree that it should have poison on it to avoid confusion for people who don't get the reference.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 20:26

Quazifuji wrote:

I'm assuming the item was meant to refer to the Mortal Kombat character (who has a move where he shoots out a spear and pulls his enemy towards him if it hits), I would still agree that it should have poison on it to avoid confusion for people who don't get the reference.

I chose piercing because the actual spear does pierce whomever it's thrown at, but you are absolutely correct and it should be venom branded.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 22:59

Factorialite wrote:
Quazifuji wrote:

I chose piercing because the actual spear does pierce whomever it's thrown at, but you are absolutely correct and it should be venom branded.

Don't you guys think venom's kind of vanilla for an unrandart though? How about curare brand instead...?

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 23:19

seems weird putting a kiting brand on an anti-kiting weapon
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Return to Game Design Discussion