Make potions of resistance also give MR+

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 10:37

Make potions of resistance also give MR+

See title.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 8
bcadren, dracos369, Leszczynek, ManMan, papilio, Sprucery, ThreeInvisibleDucks, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 10:52

Re: Make potions of resistance also give MR+

Why?

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Rast

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 10:59

As far as I understand, potions of resistance are meant to be a rare consumable that covers your missing resistances. MR can be a missing resistance.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th February 2017, 12:20

This would create more interesting decisions. Currently you mainly save the potions for Nikola/Zot or if you meet an early dragon/giant etc. But if the potion also gave MR+, you would consider using it against many more monsters. This would be a very good thing, as it is quite a rare potion.

This has been suggested before, I have no idea if the devs have something against it (I don't remember anything specific). Maybe VAF could submit a patch? :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 25th February 2017, 05:22

I've always thought MR+ might be a more interesting side effect of !brilliance than !resistance. As it stands, the potion is functionally useless on heavy armor/melee types that are only going for 3 runes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th February 2017, 05:25

Sprucery wrote:Maybe VAF could submit a patch? :)

Sorry, I no longer work on patches before they are explicitly told by devs to be accepted.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th February 2017, 09:59

prozacelf wrote:I've always thought MR+ might be a more interesting side effect of !brilliance than !resistance. As it stands, the potion is functionally useless on heavy armor/melee types that are only going for 3 runes.

But then this would be a major buff for them. You can easily get 5 - 10 potions of brilliance in a 3-rune game. Putting MR+ on an already situationally useful potion would create more interesting decisions.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 25th February 2017, 21:36

There is potentially a clarity issue in that potions of resistance increase every '%' screen stat that uses the word resistance (abbreviated) except magic resistance.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 25th February 2017, 21:55

solution: rename magic resistance to rHex

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 26th February 2017, 04:53

RBrandon wrote:There is potentially a clarity issue in that potions of resistance increase every '%' screen stat that uses the word resistance (abbreviated) except magic resistance.

They don't give rN+ either. I wouldn't have any problem if they gave rN+ as well. They used to not give rCorr either IIRC, but that was changed.

I guessing they only give fire, ice, electricity, acid and poison because they're supposed to be "resistance against the elements". Apart from flavour, I don't see any problem with them giving rN+ and MR+ as well.

About the item rarity: according to objstat you find about 6.5 potions of resistance in a full 3-rune game and about 12 brilliance potions in a 3-rune game. Since brilliance is often useless for melee types, I wouldn't want MR+ to be on brilliance instead of resistance.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 26th February 2017, 06:16

pratamawirya wrote:Why?

because unspoiled players can reasonably expect a potion called resistance to raise that stat you have that has resistance in the name.

Also the choice between using your resistance potions for mr in early game vs. saving them for electric golem/oof fights is interesting, because most 3-rune games only spawn a handful of resist pots.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Return to Game Design Discussion