Background proposal: shapeless yogi

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 13:22

Background proposal: shapeless yogi

TL:DR; challenge class based on Jiyva. Player benefits from good mutations and slimification early, but has to deal with constant item destruction.

Code:
Shapeless yogi is an avatar of slime god. They possess constantly shifting attributes and mutations, and are expected to provide items for satiation of their fellow slimes.

SY starts worshiping Jiyva with 35 piety.
SY enters the Dungeon with the Apportation spell in memory.

Starting equipment:

+2 weapon of choice
No armour. Instead, SY starts with gelatinous body 2.

Starting skills:

Fighting: 3
Chosen Weapon's Skill: 2
Dodging: 3
Translocations: 2
Stealth: 1
+3 STR, +3 INT, +6 DEX

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 14:39

Re: Background proposal: shapeless yogi

Might be cool, but we already have Xom for challenging starts. Crawl doesn't like Zealots, either, it's why the others were removed IIRC. That or Yredemnul was too strong.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 23rd February 2017, 14:40

Re: Background proposal: shapeless yogi

This has been proposed and turned down so many times...it's usually called a "Slime Knight" and usually has the same stats as "Abyssal Knights" to start, so I applaud the unique name and unique start stats. BUT, I'm fairly sure "Jiyva Background" has been turned down enough that the core devs just consider it won't do.

[I'm not saying I don't support it; I still believe a Jiyva start could be interesting; just heavy resistance incoming.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
dracos369

Return to Game Design Discussion