Food Juggler Simulator

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 12:44

Food Juggler Simulator

Dungeon Crawl has many items. So many items. So many, many items.

And then there's food. Tons of types. Some nutritious. Some not. And they're on autopickup.

So, we all play Food Juggler Simulator every game. We say "Okay I am at 49/52 slots, I just picked up fruits. I can't afford that slot. Eat all fruits even though I am full. Okay, I couldn't eat all... drop the rest."

Over and over again.

Some wiki discussion talked about solving this by cutting down the number of types of food. But that removes flavor from the game (no pun intended).

Here's a simpler solution: Make food a separate menu (like spells, abilities) not part of the inventory system. That way food doesn't take any inventory slots. So you don't have to constantly juggle food every game.

Make Dungeon Crawl Not Food Juggler Simulator Again. ;)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 12:57

Re: Food Juggler Simulator

0) In Trunk, food types already have been reduced to meat/bread/jellies/fruit.

1) Chunks are now auto-butchered by default.

2) Just stop picking up fruit/jellies by lair.

3) auto-butcher/ eat rations from there on.

4) for even further reducing, put rations on e.

BAM your food juggling has been reduced to 8 preses by lair, and the very occasional ee. The devs know all that, and are (very slowly) moving to do something about it.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 2
dracos369, Yewbacca

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 18:38

Re: Food Juggler Simulator

le_nerd wrote:0) In Trunk, food types already have been reduced to meat/bread/jellies/fruit.

1) Chunks are now auto-butchered by default.

2) Just stop picking up fruit/jellies by lair.

3) auto-butcher/ eat rations from there on.

4) for even further reducing, put rations on e.

BAM your food juggling has been reduced to 8 preses by lair, and the very occasional ee. The devs know all that, and are (very slowly) moving to do something about it.

Thanks for that! Those are some great changes. Glad the devs were aware of and taking care of the tedious food tetris simulator in the game. :D

Return to Game Design Discussion