Give warning for Net carrying

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 14:00

Give warning for Net carrying

Nowadays, the player is warned from almost every conveivable circumstance regarding debilitating monster abilities. Weapon brands and wands, spell books, spell chances, glowing armour, rings.

There are two exceptions to that right now - potions and nets.

I dont mind potions, you get a turn to react to them. Even then the worst that can happen is an unexpected berserk.

However there is no warning for nets. Since nets are similar to a weak paralyze, it'd be appropriate to give warning.

Wether paralyze is good/bad design, I dont know and dont want to start discussion. But an XL2-4 netted char has, compared to basilisk-encountering chars, very little tools in their inventory to escape from being netted. Add that Gnolls have their polearms, and nets are more dangerous than their current no-warning status warrants.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks:
Elitist

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2017, 09:52

Re: Give warning for Net carrying

I don't remember if we can check whether a monster carries a throwable item before it throws the item. A warning when a monster carries a distortion/whatever weapon is basically a "quality-of-life"-type thing since we can check it ourselves. But a warning for nets would be a straight buff to player if we can't actually do that (by pointing mouse cursor at the monster, etc).

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2017, 11:16

pratamawirya wrote:I don't remember if we can check whether a monster carries a throwable item before it throws the item. A warning when a monster carries a distortion/whatever weapon is basically a "quality-of-life"-type thing since we can check it ourselves. But a warning for nets would be a straight buff to player if we can't actually do that (by pointing mouse cursor at the monster, etc).

That wasn't always the case. Monster weapons used to just show as "glowing" or "runed" until they actually hit you and had an effect. The developers felt that the buff to players (letting them know about formerly hidden weapon brands) was warranted, since otherwise it was tedious but optimal to treat every monster with a glowing weapon like it had distortion.

Nets are in a similar place, except even worse. Only some monsters have a chance of generating with them (e.g. gnolls, merfolk), so instead of an obvious "this monster might have a distortion weapon" sign (i.e. a runed weapon), there's an invisible but spoiler-able "this monster might have nets" sign (i.e. the fact that it's a merfolk, Harold, a gnoll, etc). Overall, I'd say this change is a good idea, and seems to be in line with previous developer actions.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2017, 13:10

Will we one day get a warning when Ijyb etc carries a wand of killplayer?

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2017, 13:18

Wand warnings have been a thing for like 3 versions now?

Thats the whole reason I am proposing the net-warning change - it fits into the general direction the game is going, interfacewise.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2017, 13:24

le_nerd wrote:Wand warnings have been a thing for like 3 versions now?

What...? I swear Ijyb has shot me with acid without any warning in 0.19 and trunk?

brb testing this...

Return to Game Design Discussion