Make mutagenic meat prioritise increasing current mutations

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 08:12

Make mutagenic meat prioritise increasing current mutations

I love the new mutation changes. I haven't had this much fun with the mutation game for years.

However, I think the mutation game is still missing an axis. Eating mutagenic chunks doesn't really qualify as a strategic choice, but I think it could be made to with a single change, without reducing risk:

Eating a mutagenic chunk has a 60% chance of raising the rank of one of your current mutations, a 25% chance of badmut and 15% of good mut.

With the bigger chance of bad mut, eating mutagenic meat would still be a risky choice, but a conceivable one if, instead of rerolling, you want to push your luck and try to double down on a particular good mutation you gained.

For this message the author Steel Neuron has received thanks:
ololoev

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 09:19

Re: Make mutagenic meat prioritise increasing current mutati

Since mutation potions are decently common now, one option is to simply remove mutagenic meat.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 09:43

bel wrote:Since mutation potions are decently common now, one option is to simply remove mutagenic meat.

I suppose, but it would be cool to have some sort of option to push your current mutation set further, in exchange for risk. It could come in any other forms than meat. My only complaint with newmut is that it feels you're drifting through shallow sets of mutations, which is fun, safe and varied, but lacks an option to specialize.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 10:02

Steel Neuron wrote:60% chance of raising the rank of one of your current mutations

That's too high. Make it 40-30-15-15 last 15 is for not getting any.

For this message the author ONIchinchin has received thanks:
Steel Neuron

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 10:04

ONIchinchin wrote:
Steel Neuron wrote:60% chance of raising the rank of one of your current mutations

Fair enough, my numbers are completely arbitrary.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 13:57

ONIchinchin wrote:

Why not 40-30-15-15 where it's Increase/Bad/Random/Good with the usual resistances for having so many mutations you can't accept a new one.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th February 2017, 22:10

I agree having a chance at tier 2/3 mutations would be a positive change (and one I've really wanted too). But I think adding a second layer of complexity to mutation roulette may not be the best way to go.
What about, instead, giving the new !mutation a 80/15/5 chance per mutation of being tier 1/2/3?

Return to Game Design Discussion