Abyss:5 spawn rate counterproductive to risk/reward theme

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 16:45

Abyss:5 spawn rate counterproductive to risk/reward theme

Premise of Abyss depth: Abyss 3-5 can spawn the Abyssal rune. Abyss 4 and 5 offer higher chances of the rune spawning, at much greater player risk.

Problem: Monster density of Abyss:5 is so high that even if you are capable of taking on the monsters, you'll actually spend more time, both real world and in-game, because almost every step is a fight.

I'm presently playing a ghoul of Ru who has no issues taking on Abyss:5 with little more than tab and occasional snack breaks. I'm seeing this issue now, and even simply walking away isn't an option - before long (IE a couple seconds later) you'll run into a wall of monsters and have to sit there tabbing.

I suggest having abyssal rune generate at or near character's feet after enough time/kills on Abyss:5.

Alternate ideas:

Adjust monster spawn rate downward. If you've made it past Abyss:4, you've already passed the "tough enough" bar.

Make Abyss:5 a guaranteed vault level with the rune. Possibly Increase spawn rate of Abyss:4.

For this message the author minstrel has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Gorgondantess

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 16:52

Re: Abyss:5 spawn rate counterproductive to risk/reward them

I believe primary reason of Abyss 5 existence is to make being banished by Ancient Lich a little scary for XL 27 characters. So it should not become easier or provide guaranteed rune (because having the rune greatly increases chance of exit generation)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 17:00

Fair enough regarding difficulty, but in the time I've spent there, I've seen any number of exits generate.

Even if the chance of rune generation were 1/10th of the current chance of exit generation, it would be an improvement for those who choose to dive there, and would not decrease substantially the risks from being banished there.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 17:13

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I believe primary reason of Abyss 5 existence is to make being banished by Ancient Lich a little scary for XL 27 characters. So it should not become easier or provide guaranteed rune (because having the rune greatly increases chance of exit generation)

Except the first time you get abyssed probably isn't from an Ancient Lich. And typically when I get abyssed to Abyss:1 2 or 3 and am not in a ton of trouble I search out the rune then. Chances are by the time this theoretical banishment happens you already have the rune.

You could have a unique treasure vault spawn on Abyss:5 (only once, so no scumming) with some unrands. Or put the entrance to Pan or the Hells down there.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 17:24

I usually never visit abyss in 3 rune game so banishment to abyss 5 scares me a lot.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 23:50

For now Abyss:4~5 exists for only punishment of being banished.

My proposal: make abyssal rune only generates in Abyss:5
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 17:35

papilio wrote:For now Abyss:4~5 exists for only punishment of being banished.

My proposal: make abyssal rune only generates in Abyss:5

Well, that would take it from a viable 3rd rune to... not a viable 3rd rune, which might or might not be fine depending on how you feel about Abyss being your third rune
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 19:32

I wouldnt like that. Abyss 3 is already tedious enough. Dont make us have to grind Abyss 3 for hours so we can have a char which can safe get the rune

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 23:44

Then cut the depth of abyss from 5 -> 3. Just remove Abyss 4, 5
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 01:21

What's wrong with having Abyss levels that exist as "extra danger from banishment" levels? Maybe the rate of exits from Abyss4/5 should be reduced (along with a warning if you try to enter them from Abyss 3).

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 04:28

intentionally getting abyssal rune as your third rune is already idiotic unless you're worshipping lugonu

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 07:28

I always thought of it more as a "while I'm here" sort of thing more than doing it intentionally. Lugonu excepted, of course.

ETA: Well, when tele ring still worked in Abyss and was evokable, it was a legit choice. But since then, not really so much.

Return to Game Design Discussion