Reduce Merfolk swim speed

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 17:48

Reduce Merfolk swim speed

Merfolk already have a wealth of incentive to dive into the water with interactions (boosted EV, a tail slap, stealth bonus) that make it a tactical boon, in addition to being able to swim already being a good passive. Why on Earth do they become Spriggans when they swim? They gain the ability to flee for very little cost and can use their polearms/throwing with impunity. They also swim at the same speed as a submerged hydra, which probably isn't good.

Make their speed 0.9 or (preferably) 1.0 AuTs. They're already a lot stronger than Tengu, they can deal with it.

Do not reduce non-PC Merfolk speed.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 18:25

Re: Reduce Merfolk swim speed

Please do not introduce different mechanisms (monster/player) for the same race.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 5
dracos369, duvessa, jwoodward48ss, nago, pratamawirya

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 18:30

The amount of water in this game is very scarce even if there's some. You don't see a single tile of water in Vaults where it's most needed. Pandemonium (except Lom Lobon's floor and Holy pan obviously. Even in Holy pan the water doesn't matter too much because the Seraph/main threat isn't there, you wouldn't want to fight the Seraph outside of the killhole corridor anyway even if there's one) and Zot has little to no spawnrates of water in them also. Slime has nothing, Tomb has nothing and Hell only has Cocytus and the occasional Tar:7 river (just like Holy pan, the water in that part doesn't matter). Dungeon, Lair, Abyss and Depths may have some number of them especially Depths but I'm sure we can all agree that dry floors/tiles still greatly and vastly outnumber water by a large margin. It'd be good if someone can provide exact numbers though so this point even if there may be discrepancies is further emphasized.

Swamp, Shoals and Cocytus and the Elf:3 castle with moats floor are the only real places a Merfolk can mostly utilize this advantage while the other places are just occasional bonus that loses its use immediately. And they kinda need it at the first 2 places because of their bad -3 armor aptitude.

For this message the author ONIchinchin has received thanks:
dracos369

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 18:44

le_nerd wrote:Please do not introduce different mechanisms (monster/player) for the same race.

Non-PC Gargoyles are mute and immune to negative energy as opposed to resistant and, you know, able to shout.
Non-PC Mummies move very slowly.
Non-PC Trolls attack with both their claws in addition to having a regular attack.
Non-PC Vampires have undead resistances while being able to regenerate, conflicting with how player Vampires function.
I'm not sure how much this matters, especially since the power of enemies wildly varies from the power of player characters.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 23:36

The gargoyle thing is really bad, and monster merfolk don't need to be fast in water.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th February 2017, 09:28

duvessa wrote:and monster merfolk don't need to be fast in water.

I completely support this. Moving at normal speed in water is a good enough advantage over most PC races.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th February 2017, 18:04

Monster gargoyles break off a piece of themselves and throw it at players to end them rightly

Return to Game Design Discussion